Friday, August 12, 2022

Music In The Park...

There is a certain romance to sitting in a city park and enjoying LIVE music from local artists... for free.   Like watching old movies or having some small mid-week farmer's market.   It's a nice way to bring a community together and have a place to bring your girlfriend  on a Thursday night. Sit back on the grass and enjoy a picnic or brew while listening to old Big Band Tunes.

And so it was that I got to experience  an evening of  "Swing" in one of the Kenosha City Parks.   I tagged along with Dave as he scoped out a spot where Christina could find us.  ( All the way in the Front near the stage!) That is another one of the perks of the music in the park...  No reserve seating required.  Come as you are.  Sit where you want.  First come, first serve..  So come early if you want some shade from the sun. 

And so we did.   About 20 minutes is all.. But we got a nice location.   Sampled the beer we smuggled in. (Lesson learned from the previous concert experience...) And waited for Christina to join us so we could dig into the rotisserie Chicken we brought along.  I had not eaten anything all day, so I was kind of hungry.  Christina said she was going to "Eat the Whole Chicken 'Zombie Style'!" since she had nothing after work either.
Good thing Dave ate before the event, otherwise it would have been a three-way "Day Of The Dead Free For All!" at the KFC! ( Remember that scene?  No?   Well,  watch the 1985 movie and you will understand the joke.) 

It was a good time.   We got to enjoy some chicken,  Beer, ( Honey Brown....  Yeah!)  And enjoy the Big Band tunes.  Like the 1940's all over again.... Only without that whole "World War thing."   Dave even knew a couple of the folks in the band. 

Dave knows everybody in Kenosha. One of the Perks of being a Pastor.

We did not stick around for the Mardi Gras band that came afterwards.  It was getting late and people had to work the next day.  So.. We listened to a couple songs so as not to be rude, and then headed home.Good Times!

Today was my day off from the GXO.  It is a long story I may elaborate on later, but overtime now has to be authorized.   All it takes is one employee to screw everything up for everyone else.  But that is ok, because I was in need of a two day break anyway.   And having a full two days of free time to accomplish things seems like a luxury now.   I can't wait until we get to a normal 5 day, Monday through Friday schedule.   I think everyone is looking forward to that in a week or two from now. 

In the mean time,  I did a bunch of errands that have been put off all week. I did Laundry,  I ran, I paid bills, And even did a little shopping and mushroom hunting.   I found a purple Cort while on the run and brought it home to show off and Identify.  ( The brown spore print and cleavage cap are obvious indicators.) I still am not sure if these are edible, but I happened upon enough "speculation" that made me reconsider.   Besides, we still have a bunch of Chanterelles in the fridge. 

I also found a bunch of Turkey Tail and decided to bring back my bag and harvest it after the run.  There was plenty  there so I left quite a bit of it for the squirrels. (If the squirrels actually eat that type of mushroom.)  Other than the Cort, I found very little else.  I did search new areas  though, so that might be a factor in the hunt. Even so, it is always nice to walk around in the forest with a purpose on such a nice day. 

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend so far.   I'm writing this after 5, so I'm assuming most of my readers are now free from the "bondage of employment."  At least for a couple of days...   

Enjoy the Weekend and weather if you can.   And thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

We have been avoiding crowds mostly, a few small towns have music from time to time all summer, before Covid we went quite often. Sounds like you are settling in:)

Val Ewing said...

We have concerts all over the place here too in our area.
Looks like fun in the summer parks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails