Monday, September 26, 2022

A Visit To The Quad Cities....

Game Face Allens

For some Race action!   Yes.. Cheryl ran the Quad Cities Half Marathon this last weekend.   And I was invited to attend.   It was kind of a last minute decision, but we somehow pulled it off and managed to have a decent time.  Who would have ever thought it? 

Ah.. yes... the 2019 race..

You may remember previous years... Where either the rain or the heat or some other thing caused Cheryl to lose focus and not run her best.  Usually it is the heat, as the summer is never really done with Iowa at this time of year.   But this year was Different!

25 Years!

First,  it was the 25th anniversary for the race.   Not that that matters much to the runners.   But it does make for a special commemorative medal.

New Bridge!  New Route!

Second,  the Bridge that they used to cross the Mississippi  was GONE!  Gone forever!  And a new one was established a couple hundred yards to the north of it.   As a result,   the race directors were forced to re-map the entire race!  Meaning all of the usual mile stones were switched up!  Causing the spectators (ME!)  several timing issues. 

And lastly,  there was the weather.   The weather was unseasonably cool for Iowa this year.   I would say it was pleasant for runners.  Slightly uncomfortable for scantly-clad spectators.  Records were broken.  Champions were unseated.   It was a memorable race for many people this year.  And no one got lost during the race....

Cheryl and I made the Expo on Saturday.   We were there at the open and I spent a few moments  with several kids, drawing on the sidewalk with chalk again this year.   They did not have the chalk out for the kids like last year, but they did have bouncy tents.  

Cheryl and I linked up and did a tour around the expo.  Not much to really do there since we have seen it all before.  We snapped a few photos and went out find our hotel.  The start was scheduled at 7 AM.

We arrived early as always to secure a good parking spot. Cheryl followed me with the Bean Subie and we managed to find and park next to each other.    Then... it was simply a wait for the big start gun to go BOOM! 

  With the race route changed,  I hustled over to find Cheryl at the Half way point.  However, I quickly realized that the half way point was no longer half way. Instead it was around mile three!   I then rushed over the what Used to be  Mile 9.  Only to find that Cheryl was just coming into it.   I cheered her on and took her pic as she ran by.

Then on to the finish.   I had no other spectator points planned out, so I figured I best head for the end.  And besides,  Cheryl was moving fast!

At the finish,  Cheryl raced down the off ramp and down towards the finish line.  It was not an overall PR for the half marathon, but it was a PR for the Quad Cities!  And not a bad time overall.  Cheryl was very happy. 

After a couple hotdogs and beers,  we finally got to the Half Marathon awards.  Cheryl won first in her age group again.   I think she was happier about this award than she ever has been over any other Quad Cites award from the past. ( Is that sentence too complicated?  In my mind, it makes sense.. So I will leave it.)  Overall, it was a good day.

As the time slipped by, we left the after party and headed to Muscatine for some Ice Cream Therapy and some Zen time by the River.   We climbed up onto "The Clammer" and finished out the visit with a good long talk and foot massage.  (I almost spelled "massage"  with an "E"  What kind of message would your feet give you if they wanted a Massage?)  The wind was brisk, the air was cool and the sun was warm.  A Very Rare pleasant day in Iowa. 

As with all things that bring happiness,  their time is fleeting.  And every wonderful moment must end eventually.  No matter how long we wish for them to last.   I headed back to Wisconsin and Cheryl went her own way back to Wellman.  To a life of a lonely cat lady who writes for the local newspaper. 

And me... Back to a nameless, faceless warehouse worker in Kenosha Wisconsin.  Before she left, I helped set her up with a week's supply of cat food.  So... The cats should be good for a while.  I do so miss those cats.

And now the separation is back.  But the distance has been shortened ever so slightly.  Moments in time to treasure and remember for years to come.  In true Stoic Philosophy:  The pain and struggle make the pleasant moments in life filled with more Joy and Happiness.  I find this to be true.  The smallest of candles shine brightest in the darkest of rooms.  So take note of the little things.


I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend this weekend.  I certainly did.  Even though I was prepared for a far different scenario.  Thankfully,  things worked out better than I could have hoped and I think Cheryl feels the same way.  Good weather; a fun, new race route; an excellent performance, and good company all made for a wonderful time in the Quad Cites.  And hopefully, the memories will last a little longer with the creation of this blog post.    Thanks for stopping and joining in. 

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Way to go Cheryl! It is almost like you guys are dating! Hope you get some more time together soon:)

Val Ewing said...

What a great weekend you both had. I know the distance is tough, but it sounds like you guys are really making it work.
Congratulations to Cheryl on her first place in her age group! That is awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails