Tuesday, September 27, 2022

The Grilling Of The Puffball!

 A quick post about our Mushroom Grilling experience yesterday.   I had read and heard that Puffballs are best when grilled just as if they were steak. I have never tried this method of cooking and as luck would have it... Dave Loves to Grill!  We have to hook these two up for some savory action! 

We sliced the puffballs into thin sections and seasoned them with butter and various spices.   We could not make up our minds, so we went with 4 variations.   Lawry's Season Salt, Steak seasoning, Everything Bagel seasoning, and some hot and spicy Asian mix.  ( or maybe Indian?)  

Any grilling experience would no be complete without a brewsky.   Dave had his maple porter in the fridge just begging to be sampled.  

The grilling did not take long.   And I thought the mushroom behaved rather nicely, given it was rather large and filling the rack.  Dave thought he had burned it a little, but when we finally sampled it,  You could not tell. 

A toast to success!  The mushroom tasted like a very tender slab of meat.   Some of the seasonings fared better than others, but for the most part, I think it turned out pretty good!

The only down side is Giant Puffball is like Pickled Herring:   Sample it once... it is awesome.   Sample it a second time and it loses its novelty.   And so it was with the puffball.   

The last time I brought one home, I was the only one eating it and it took almost an entire week for me to finish half! ( Giant Puffballs are GIANT after all...)   And I think I may have said that I had no need to ever bring another one home ever again.  ( I might have said that...)  But after several years, it was good to revisit it once again.   And to share the experience with a friend. So hurray! 

I am now trying to dry the remaining puffballs in the dehydrator.   I don't know what to expect, but I figure if they do dry up nice enough, we can add them to soups and other mixes later on during the winter.  Assuming we wont find any winter mushrooms in the Wisconsin snow.  

Hope everyone is having a grand week so far.   Tomorrow is Hump day already!  The week can certainly slip by quickly.   Try not to miss too much of it as it passes by.   Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting!

Val Ewing said...

A friend of mine in Sturtevant just found some too, he is drying and grinding them into a flour to use in soups and making tortillas...he said.

Sounds like you got a good one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails