Monday, December 17, 2018

The Cool Things You Find In The Outdoors.

Finding antlers in Iowa
 With stockings finally winding down a bit,   Cheryl and I have been hiting the trail a little later in the afternoon.   Mostly because it is sunny and warm at that time and not so frosty.   It almost seems a shame we have been missing the nicer weather simply because we get up at the crack of dawn.

My Heroic Stance.
But today,   with the sun shinning and the birds chirping... we found something rather cool.

Last year,  I found a dead deer in the  this field in Coralville... thanks to our friendly Eagle having a snack on it.   I thought it was the loser of a battle... given its location far from a road.    Three days later, we discovered a drop from what I can only guess was thevictor of that battle.  Well this year, we found another set of antlers...  Two sheds right next to each other!  A Matched set!
When you hit a deer with your Bike.



I can only imagine they froze off when we had that cold spell.  If the bucks are losing their antlers this early,  chances are we will not see those other bucks near the Trueblood trail anytime soon.  Perhaps we might find their antlers...if we were to look for them.
And pull off his antlers.


As for this one... ( Or two)   They were right on the sidewalk trail... just under a small tree.   Given their condition,  I'm assuming they were dropped off this morning.   Because we were the first people on the trail at around noon.   Even Cheryl noticed them while she was running... and that is saying a lot!   She is nearly blind with tunnel vision when she runs.

I think I can do better than that.
So we decided to bring them home.   OUr house is no longer a "shrine to antlers....  "   So I'm not sure what we will do with them.   Perhaps I will bother my brother with a mythical story so I can out do his "I shot one while naked" story.   ( Yes!   He really did...  apparently.)   Don't do a search for "Deer Hunting Naked"   You may just find a picture of him.. and that would scar the back of your eyes!  FOREVER!

Other than that,   I'm ready for the stocking season to lighten up and get back to our normal routines.   I somehow managed to change the oil and rotate the tires yesterday.   Subie has been getting neglected as of late,  simply because of the weather and stockings.   I hope to change that once the stockings are over.   Thanks for stopping in!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails