Sunday, January 27, 2019

This Iowa Weather Is For The Birds!

Eagles Favorite Weather.   Eagles Favorite Tree! 

Specifically.... the Eagles!   Yes, I finally got my camera to stay alive long enough to take a few pictures.  And by a "few", I mean about 400+!    Why take so many pics of Eagles?

     Lots of Photo Opportunities today.       
 Because Eagles remind me of Alaska, Nature, The U S of A and all things Freedom!  And I remember how "rare" they were back when I was growing up.   We once traveled to the U.P  just to "maybe" see one... and did not!   The first time I saw one in Alaska, I was like a kid's first time at the zoo!  It always gets my
Lots of "Eagle Trees" today
excitement racing.

Cold run day again...
But  the ones I saw in Alaska were nothing compared to the numbers I have seen here in Iowa.  (And that is saying a lot!)  I know there are places in Alaska that have tons of Eagles in one small location; But here in Iowa,  Numbers over 40 can be seen around pig farms, deer carcasses, and  near the Rivers.



 Especially now that the lake is frozen over and the only open water is the river.  The Eagles seem to have their favorite trees, because you will go a little ways and then see several birds in one tree.  Maybe they simply enjoy each other's company.


Eagles fly as Cheryl approaches
the river.  Can you see them?
As we took off running this morning,   we passed by so many trees and clusters of flying birds that I could not keep up with the camera.  I snapped as many as I could, only to realize they will never turn out.   I saved the ones where we were practically on top of the bird... ( or rather, They were directly above us!)  and snapped what I could before some of them flew away.

Some of them remained in place.   Possibly because they are used to people walking, biking, and running along the trail.   I did not want to scare any of them, but I imagine a creepy guy pointing something at you might seem a little unnerving.  Still, I tried not to linger and cause problems.


In some places,  the eagles were flying around like a cluster of Seagulls.   Those pics did not turn out as well because of the trees, but there were dozens in the skies above the water.  Very cool scene.


As for us,   Two laps and about 8 miles of distance was all we could manage in this deep freeze.   On the second lap my feet started to get cold, and there is usually no recovery after that point.   At least the wind held off while we were running.  Apparently, the windchill is supposed to be really bad today.  Lucky us!
The Eagles Above us!

So now we are home to continue our work as bums.  Cheryl was a bundle of energy yesterday.   She baked, cleaned, washed, and did a bunch of other stuff that exhausted me just watching her!   I fixed my bike and blogged.... that was enough to wipe me out.

Hiro demonstrates my activities
for the rest of the day.
 A demonstration in the gap between our activity levels.  But now she is the one laying on the floor. ( lying?   What are the rules again?   Stupid English Grammar ....) And hopefully she will remain sedentary for the remainder of the day.  Just like me....

Thanks for stopping in and hopefully the cold is not grabbing you too hard.   Stay warm and drink hot Cocoa....  Mmmmm Hot Cocoa.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails