Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Fixing The Bike.

You mean this is NOT how you are
supposed to store them? 
The TREK bike has had its share of abuse this year.  With Winter being what it has so far,  there have been moments of deep snow, ice, and just plain cold to cause all the parts on the bike to have trouble.   I just fixed the Headset ...  Or the "Round Bearings in the Steering part of the Bike" for those people who know less about bikes than I do.   Oh!  The Jargon those cyclist enthusiasts set up to sound more educated than a college grad.

Sidewall Tear.

Wonder what caused this...
But today I was forced to confront another issue.   The sidewall of my back tire blew out causing my tire to wobble.   Now... I most likely was because I'm too chubby for the frame of the bike to support... But I would rather think it is because of the extreme cold temps this week has thrown at us.  Yeah!   Definitely the cold weather.   I hear cold weather makes rubber brittle and with my inflating the tire beyond the recommended PSI, ( So it does not go squishy when I climb on it.)  It was bound to cause damage eventually.

Given to Ethan Allen for his
Attempt to fix his own bike.
So off to the bike store to get another tire.   I could go the snobbish "World Of Bikes" where I purchased the bike to begin with.   But I dislike their judgmental eyes as they look at my bike and wonder how it could withstand the neglect I put it through.   Nope!  I would rather go to one of those Super Huge Chain Sporting Good Stores to anonymously pick up a cheap tire and swap it out myself.   (In the Privacy of my own home....)

That is right!  Who needs those guys anyway?
Head to Scheels!   I immediately get confronted by an over eager employee who Really Wants to Help me.   I decline his offer but eventually ask about 29 inch bike tires for a mountain bike. ( because they move  the bike section around every week or two.)  He practically grabs my hand and carries me to the bike repair shop.

A little too much help.   So much for looking over the rest of the store... and perhaps making a spontaneous purchase.  I personally like my PERSONAL space... if you know what I mean.   We are not friends.   Granted,  I did want to get  in, find the tire and get out as quickly as possible.   Cheryl, on the other hand,  wanted to look at a few things.   She faced the same problem.


The Kind of Employee Dwight
Shrute would be....

At the bike repair shop, I told the folks behind the desk what I needed.  I bought the last tire here, so I know they have it.   29 inch tire for a Mountain bike.  2 inch width.  They look at me like I'm from another planet. Was I not speaking English good  enough for them?   After a few minutes  ( seemingly longer!)   They find it... hanging on the wall where it was last time.

Then back to the overeager Employee that bothered me the first time.   He discovered that they DID have a 29 inch mountain bike tire on the shelves with the other bikes.  (Where I was to begin with.)  Thanks for the info!   Seems I know more about your store than you do.

Everything looks so good on you.   Hurry and Buy it
so I can get back to Folding...
Back to Cheryl,   the Sales Lady that was harassing her was removing the clothing from the hanger and standing there ready for any other command.  I know that Cheryl likes to shop very slowly and methodically.  She does not like to feel rushed or waited on.  All the while the Lady is telling her how great she looks in everything.   Not very convincing.

Ah well.   Shopping.   I don't like it very much and By avoiding one pitfall, you get another different one.  At least I got the Bike fixed and should be ready to rumble tomorrow. I was able to clean up the back tire a bit while it was off as well.   I can't wait for warmer weather so I can give it a good cleaning like it deserves.   Until then,   I guess I will continue repairing things in solitude.   And maybe I should try to lose a little more weight....  We shall see.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails