Tuesday, April 20, 2021

The Paper Gnome!

 I was not going to blog today, but I finally found success in folding.  Actually,  this is my second attempt at folding the Eric Joisel gnome. The first attempt was with some older paper I had lying around.   But the instructions said that this model works best with foil paper.   So...  Take the advice from the Master!

I quickly whipped some foil paper up and began folding.   This attempt turned out far better, but there may still be places to improve.   One issue was that the paper began to fail as I was doing the finishing shaping.  If I took my time making the paper next time,  it may be more durable.    We shall find out. 

First attempt.  Not very good.

Other than that,  I think it turned out pretty good.   He looked kind of sad all alone on my table so I gave him a background and a bamboo skewer to make him look more formidable.  Now he looks like a watchman on some gnome trail deep in the forest.  Or maybe he just looks like a dwarf. 

Anyway,  I like it!   Maybe the folding will get easier if I practice.  The Box-Pleating calls for 28 equally divided folds.  28!   That is an odd number.  So I have been starting out with 14 inch paper and measuring the marks beforehand. Models are easier when there are no odd  prime numbers in their set up. I find the actual model rather "simple"  but with complex add ons. Similar to my "Dancer" model that I created. only the gnome has fingers!  How cool is that. Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wonderful!!! He is just perfect!

Val Ewing said...

Now that is wickedly cool. I could see taking photos of that guy in the forest. Are they fragile?
Anyway super neat and love the details!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails