Monday, November 28, 2022

A Farewell To Hiro.

Hiro in my Suitcase.

Apparently,  Cats tend to Check Out for the Holidays.  At least that is what it seems like this year.   But don't let me get to far ahead just yet....

Hiro's Last Day.

Last Friday was Hiro's Last Day for this world.   He had been fading fairly rapidly for nearly a month, and Cheryl said his behavioral problems had become unbearable.  She did not want to make the call without my consent, so when I came home for the Holiday,  I got to evaluate Hiro first hand.  

Hiro's First day... With us.

He was skin and bone and could not seem to relax.  He ate plenty of food, and he seemed to be ok around me.   But his cuddly, purr box self seemed to be gone.   So while Cheryl was working on Friday,  Hiro and I spent the day  together and eventually we made the trip to the vet.   It was a very sad day for me. 

Kitten Hiro with Red, the Shop cat.

But Looking back as I was setting up for this blog post,  I see that Hiro had a pretty good run with us.  14 years is not nothin'!  He got into plenty of trouble and had lots of adventures.  He made plenty of friends along the way.  ( Which is saying a lot compared to many of our previous cats.)   He got to climb trees, chase birds, and catch lots of rodents. and there were plenty of times when he would keep me up at night because he did not want to come inside at the proper hour.  

Hiro's first Christmas.( tree)

The Vet that treated him was one that had seen him before...  Back when he got into that "scuff" with some unknown thug from the neighborhood.  (Good times!)

Hiro after the Cat Brawl.

She did not remember him, but I remembered her.  And I was thankful that there was a familiar face there to help us along the finish line.  

Hiro with a "gift" for us.

Hiro marks the end of our 6th cat.  He was the last real remnant from our life in Michigan.  He made the journey, and now is able to join both Red and Rasha next to the north facing window of the old Stocking Shop. I think he will be happy there with those other rascals.  And I'm thinking he will be the last cat for us for a while.  

Hiro and Leo
Hiro and Rocket.

But then there are the Iowa Outdoor cats!   Rocket, Leo, and Haru all seem to think they live with us, but never want to make the commitment  to being an indoor cat.  Both Cheryl and I think they should all be reassigned to a farm or barn somewhere in the country.   I think they would like that far better than a small apartment in Iowa. Even though Rocket seems to be trying to fill the void that Hiro has left behind.

Hiro doing Yoga.
Being fashionable

Getting back to the initial intro.   I discovered that one of the relatives had to take her cat down to the vet for the same reason.. The day after Thanksgiving.   And Now I have a Co-worker who Also has a 14 year old cat who has the same issues as Hiro. ( To numerous to recount, but the Vet assured me that there was "something else going on" with him and that it was not  good.) My Co-worker is still on the fence about what to do with her cat, but I think deep down she knows what has to happen.   She is spending a lot of money on medication that is not helping.  (We have all been down that path before, it seems...) 

Possibly one of the perks of  old age is the wisdom that comes with the territory.   Having seen many similar scenarios play out with the results always ending the same way, we are able to make a "Tough Call" far easier than a younger, less-experienced version of ourselves.   Still, that does not seem to lighten the burden and broken heart in the immediate aftermath.  I tried to play it cool, but could not get the first sentence out to the receptionist before crying like a baby.   How pathetic and weak. 

And so,  I decided to post this, the low point of the 4 day weekend in Iowa.   I'll save the better moments for tomorrow. as this post is getting pretty long.  Remember when I said I liked Funerals?  Well, I still mean it.  Even the sad ones for the Family Cat.   They should not be sad for very long.   Instead,  I think they should be a moment to remember all the good times and smiles that we all had together.  And that the Cat is in a far better place now and that we will see them all again someday.  

So Farewell to Hiro!   Say "Hi" to Rashi and Red...  And though you never met them,  Say hi to Sasha, Orange, and Zulu.   All of you were the best cats  a couple of over-educated, artistic failures could have ever hoped to have.

 Sayonara




3 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I've been through this with a few dogs and it is just as hard. You don't want to believe that your best friend be it cat or dog, is nearing the end of their time with you. And it does hurt.

Sometimes it is a slight relief to know that their suffering has ended.

:(

Far Side of Fifty said...

So sorry for you and Cheryl. It is a really hard thing to do but we have to always do what is best for the animal...dog or cat they always break your heart when they are no longer with us. Goodbye Hiro...you were well loved what more can a cat ask for:)

Jon said...

This is such a heartbreaking post. I'm so sorry to hear about Hiro. Losing our faithful feline companions is one of the most difficult things we have to endure. No need to apologize for shedding tears. I cried when my four-year-old Scruffy died, and when Kitzee died at age sixteen. I still get upset when I see photos of them.

I hope that fond memories of Hiro will provide some comfort for you and Cheryl.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails