Thursday, August 26, 2010

The summer of the Cicada

I thought it was just my imagination, but there seem to be a large number of cicadas this summer. I counted 40 husks around the base of a small tree! And that was just one of many trees in the area. The residence that I have talked to also agree that there seem to be more this year. It's pretty cool actually, since their singing can drown out the crickets at times. Anyway, I captured a few interesting pics of some left over husks on a tree as they lined up in a row. I know that there are the 17 year cicadas that hatch every 17 years ( duh!) but I'm not sure these are the same ones. I believe there is just a bumper crop ( pun intended) here in Iowa of cicadas. The residences have also informed me that this is a rather hot, steamy, rainy summer compared to most summers in Iowa. So I should not let this one year shape my image of the state over all. It's too bad, because I like the abundance of butterflies and cicadas. Just not a real fan of the heat and humidity all that much.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails