Sunday, January 21, 2018

A-Hunting We Will Go...

Mushroom hunting with Cheryl 
Since Cheryl is laid up with the flu...  and the weather has finally delivered temps back into the 40's,  We decided to walk through the woods instead of run/bike through them. 
Small winter Mushroom.  branch-like gills underneath. 

But what do you do while walking?  It appears that we are consistent in  our desire to forage for new bits of nature.  Either berries in summer or flowers and mushrooms in spring.   But lately I have been watching You-Tube videos about mushrooms that grow in the late fall and throughout winter!

Softer, white mushroom.  Trametes?
More pores on the underside.
So we decided to go out and see if we could actually find some of these mythical mushrooms in our local area. 

Well, I knew we would find a few things because I have blogged about them before.   But I was impressed with what we were actually able to find... and the diversity.  Like butterflies,  they mushrooms have always been there....  we just never saw them.  Until now!

Colorful version of the Trametes Genus

So Many Versions of this stuff!
Now I'll say right away I'm not 100% on what these specific species are. ( ok, a couple I'm pretty darn sure I have identified them correctly.)  And I'm not about to take the plunge and eat one... yet.  (Not without a second, more qualified opinion) but I thought that taking a few pictures for later study.. and blog posting,  might be kinda fun.  So here we go!

Polypore Underside.   Supposedly white.
First up!  The turkey tail... I think. I am very confident I have at least identified the Genus.   (Trametes versicolor?)  I know you can eat Turkey tail... and that there are medical benefits to it.   But we encountered several versions of this mushroom that have very similar qualities.   I know Turkey tail has a white underside....   But I'm not sure if they darken as it matures.

Colorful Green Version
I also know it is a Polypore. ( spores come out of holes instead of gills on the underside) But some of the samples we found had what look like small hairs!   Not sure about that one.

Is this the same fungus?






Check out the underside. 
Still others had this wonderful green color.   I'm not sure if this was a moss growing on the fungus,  or if the actual color was the mushroom itself...

Small Hair-like pores.   What is THIS? 
These are just the difference I noticed,  and I know very little about fungi and how to classify them. This seems like a big family,  and until I'm 100% about the differences,  I doubt I will be collecting any of these for food/medicine.

Pheasant Back/Dryad Saddle.

Polypore Underside. 
We found some Pheasant Back.  This is one of the mushrooms I'm positive I ID-ed correctly.  I watched the video last night and I knew I had seen these before.  Sure enough,  even in the middle of winter, we found one.   Pretty cool!   I know they are edible,  but they are tough and I guess you need to cut off the outer layers for the best flavor.  Perhaps something worth exploring at a later time.

Tinder Fungus!   Hard, Bark-like.   Not edible.

But good for making fiber and tinder!










Next,  Tinder Fungus!   No real need to explain the name... it is used to make fires and transport coals.   It is very hard and bark-like.   I'm not sure the specific species that this one is,  but I'm confident it is something from this genus.   I read that you can boil it and extract the fibers (Called Amadou) to make clothes.

Something New!  
Brain/Coral-Like underside
We found this mushroom as well,  When I flipped it over,  I was impressed by they maze-like polypore structures.   I looked around, and the closest I could find was this information:    https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/thin-maze-flat-polypore
  I guess it is not edible....  But fascinating to look at.



They are a little past their prime. 
Summer Oyster Mushrooms.  
And last:   The Oyster Mushrooms.  We found Summer as well as Fall varieties.   The summer ones had shriveled up considerably, but I remember what they looked like last summer.  Hopefully,  I will remember when they pop out again and will have a better way to ID them.  ( Still think it may be a Jack-O-Lantern Poisonous look a-like.)
See the gills underneath. 

Previously posted, but now larger and softer.
And then the Fall Oyster Mushroom.   I was surprised that the warmer temps and drizzle appeared to have re-hydrated them!  They are much softer and larger than a previous post.  I'm fairly confident about these guys.  Looking at the underside also confirms my ID.   I Still lack the guts to eat one though.   I'll have to look up the mushroom club in Iowa City to see if I can find an "Expert".  (Anyone who  knows more than me...  which should be easy.  I'm no botanist.) 
So that is what we did today.   Sometimes you have to explore your surroundings with new eyes.   And eventually, I will gain the confidence to take a bite out of one of these things....  I'm pretty sure I know the poison ones by now...  but not all the edible ones.  There are so many things to consider.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails