Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Bird Feeder Mystery....

Yesterday,  my bird feeder was empty and Cheryl suggested I fill it with left over Pecan Scraps from this Holiday season.  Normally, I fill this small feeder with peanuts... But I was out.   The Pecan bits were small enough for the tiny holes in the feeder... so why not?



Normally,   I attract squirrels.   Though the birds also enjoy the peanuts as well,  the squirrels will muscle their way and dominate the feeder for most of the day.   Only another squirrel will be able to chase them off.  I'm normally OK with that.

But today,  the feeder was missing!   This is a bit of a shock, since I wire the top of the feeder on the mount.   But somehow...something managed to get the entire feeder off!

And the plot thickens!   The feeder was no where to be seen in the immediate vicinity. I had to search for several minutes and until I found the top!   And them several more minutes to find the actual feeder about 30 yards away!  Around the corner of the building!


It's possible that something other than a squirrel got into it and twisted and dragged the feeder around the apartment....  Maybe.  And that might be the best explanation.  But normally the raccoons leave the feeder alone.   And the squirrels, until now,  have never been able to get the feeder lid or any other part... off.

And then there is the "dragging" issue.   How or why did they feel the need to drag the thing 30 yards around the corner when they could have simply eaten the scattered nuts on the ground where it fell?

I do know that the Squirrels around here  ( and everywhere, really) are pretty imaginative when it comes to unlocking bird feeders.  Mine does not claim to be "squirrel proof"  nor do I attempt to make it that way...   But the feeder is going to remain empty for a while after this.  I never would have thought that the pecans would stir up such "motivation" in them to where they felt the need to steal the entire feeder!   Perhaps I should switch back to peanuts and use the pecans for something I might enjoy.  So much for spoiling these little ingrates!

1 comment:

L. D. said...

It could have been a raccoon. At our old place I would find the suet feeder up on the roof of the house. I don’t think a squirrel could do that. I think if you had pecans in your feeder everyday, I think I would be making cookies with pecans in them, but I would leave the feeder.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails