Monday, January 1, 2018

Running In The New Year! Cheryl's New Year's Dash of COLD!

Definitely BEAST weather!
It has been a while since I have been out in weather this cold.   I often hype up the past Army experiences as "EPIC!"   But Alaska IS cold...  and running there is something that needs to be admired and seen as Heroic.  So I often overlook the "Alaskan Conditions" found here in the lower 48 when they rarely occur.
This morning's "High" temp.

But today,   the temps dipped below -20!  (counting the windchill.)   It reminded me of the numerous ice-fishing expeditions my Dad used to drag us along.   The Wind blowing across a gloomy sky would cut through your clothes and face like a knife.   It was a true exercise in misery. 
Cheryl says: "Uhg!"

And those were the conditions on this New Year's Day in Wisconsin.   The New Year's Dash was held, despite it all.   Cheryl was not very eager to get out there and participate.   She greeted me all morning with grunts.
"Uhg!"
 "Want some Breakfast?" 
"Uhg!"
"Ready to head down?"
"Uhg!"
"Got everything you need?"
"Uhg!"


"Uhg!"
Baby New Year!   Streaking!?!?!
We stayed inside the Hotel until the last possible second.   Heading out in that cold instantly makes your glasses and phone camera fog up.   But I did manage to get a few pictures of her as she ran by.


Does he Look a little COLD?
I was actually impressed that Baby New Year ran with just his diaper on.   He only ran about 500 yards before turning around and heading back to the warmth.   I thought he would either done a "naked suit" like Brittney Spears...
Was he Wearing Britney's New Year Suit?
OR throw on a jacket  after the gun went off.   Looks like he simply cut the run short...  for safety reasons I'm sure.   I was frozen simply standing there in my Gore-Tex.

The Crowd parts for Cheryl.


Cheryl waves.... "Uhg!"
Several of the 5 miler's cut their race short.   I'm sure they had their reasons.   (Poor clothing,  cold air,   etc. ) Cheryl finally rounded the corner along with the other "Ninjas" and she looked in pretty good spirits.   I guess after three miles,  the heat kicks in and you actually begin to keep warm.  In addition,  all that "cold Weather Training" we had done last week must have paid off.   She said she knew exactly what to do, what to wear, and how to run in that cold.   Hurray for Snow and Ice Running in Iowa!
She disappears in the sea of Ninjas...
2 Miles to Go!   Cheryl is "Frosty."



She slipped by me at the last curve and I ended up chasing her the last mile.   My hands were pretty much froze by then.   and handling the Camera was seriously limited.  We finally got back into the warmth of the hotel for Cheryl to show off her medal.  It flips to show off Father Time and Baby New Year.   Pretty cool!

She Sneaks by with her "Ninja" skill
I should probably state the stats:   Time: 38:51.  Pace: 7:47.  5th in Age group.  453 finishers total. (238 women.)

Compare to last year,   Cheryl's time: 37:57.  Pace: 7:36.  6th in Age group. 741 finishers... (430 Women)

Only 453 finishers this year. 

Let's get Warm!
5th in Age group. 

The Temps never warmed up above zero.   On the drive home,  Subie bounced around -6 to -1 degrees at any given time.   At least he can kick out the heat for the driver.   Currently,  the temps are holding at -9.   I wanted to wash all that road salt and grim off of the car,  but now I'm hoping that the car doors do not freeze shut.   Perhaps I will have to check on it after I post this.


Her New Year Medal.
Subie says: COLD!





So what a great way to bring things in!   Face a challenge and WIN!   I hope this is the theme for the rest of the year (  The winning part.   We always have plenty of challenges) Cheryl says last years theme seemed to be "Break what was fixed."   Not the greatest theme really.   I like the "Tackle the challenges and WIN!"  Theme.   (Mostly the Winning...)   Happy New Year everyone!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails