Sunday, July 5, 2020

A Bike Ride Through Keota, Iowa.

A HOT day today!  And Cheryl suggested we ride our bikes instead of run.   I agree that the bikes are a handle the heat a little better than running under the blazing sun.  To be safe, we brought water along. 

A Lunar Eclipse?
Or just a Bright Full Moon!
I could lament that there were no fireworks last night.   Cheryl does not seem to enjoy them as much as I do.  What can I say?  I'm a little kid at heart!   But the one thing that was bright was the Moon!   My camera sucks at capturing things at night, but the moon was almost bright enough to allow someone to read a book outside!  There was supposed o be a Lunar Eclipse last night....anyone else hear about it?  It was supposed to happen around 10:03.   Right when the Fireworks were "supposed" to kick off.   However,  I learned about it at around 11:30.   So I might have missed it. 

It is also possible it was one of those "sliver eclipse"  where only a portion of the moon was shadowed.   That might explain why it was over so quickly.  (If it really even happened!   The moon was so bright you think it would have been obvious.)

Black Berries are Turning!
At the Keota Trail head.
But back to our morning plans!    We chose to ride to Keota.   Most of the time, we ride our bikes towards Washington because of the shade and partial paved section of trail.  However,   Cheryl wanted to check out the Berry Bushes that are just out of our daily running path.
And another!

A ripe one!
We were very happy to discover that  the Black Berries are OUT!   We found three in just the limited time looking from the trail.   There are a number of other ones ready to turn any day now.   Cheryl suggests we go back out there on Tuesday and see if we can gather up a few.   We will bring the buckets this time, just in case.

Enjoying shade at the Trail Head
We finally reached the trail head in Keota and decided to take a ride around the small town.  We have done this before in a limited way.   This time we decided to go the entire distance across the town.


Flash back to the '50's


Mid-Century Ranch...
 It is a small town, but it had a golf course, community pool, and a Mid-Century architectural flair.   Cheryl likes the ranch style houses....  like this one.   I bet there is a Pink Toilet and Bath tub inside!

Patriotic Americans. 
I also noticed that there tends to be a few more unapologetic Conservatives here.   There were more than a few Trump Signs/ flags and LOTS of American Flags.   Cheryl says every time we see an American Flag in the front yard,   Those might as well be Trump signs too!   I tend to agree.

Golden Oysters!


A Little too old. 


Hmm,  I wonder why we never
saw them before. 
On the way back from Keota,  we noticed for the first time ever... GOLDEN OYSTERS!   On a Tree that we pass by every day we come out here to run.   Funny we never noticed them before.   We must have missed  the first fruiting as many of the fruits were past their due date. 

However, we did manage to gather up several clusters of fresh ones.   I guess I can understand why we never noticed them before,  They are in a rather open section and the mushrooms were buried in the thick brush.   But it was a serious find and helped make the day a little brighter.


Rabbit comes out to see Cheryl. 


Bunny!
I have read that not everyone had a dud 4th Weekend.   That is cool.   As mentioned before,  we do not really celebrate it with any "gusto" either, but everyone else around us does, and that begets an aura of festivities and celebration.  I enjoy watching my fellow man  having a good time.   And I certainly enjoy those Fireworks! 

So Cute!
        I thought he would let me       
pet him.
One final note:  After our Oyster find,  a Cute little Bunny hopped out behind Cheryl.   I thought  he was going to go up to her, but Cheryl is a cold person, and ignored him.    He then hopped over to me.   I got so close I thought I could almost pet him.    I guess this counts as our Wildlife sighting for the day.   It certainly was cute. 

Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend and staying cool.   Thanks for stopping in.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

We have wild raspberries just starting to turn color,,,it must be the heat! Stay cool...I like fireworks too but only heard the last night and probably tonight too unless they couldn't afford more:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails