Saturday, July 4, 2020

A Dud 4th Of July...

Happy 4th of July!   Too bad there will not be Fireworks tonight.   This will be the first time in the 10 years we have been here were Wellman will not have Fireworks.   Heck!  It may be the first time in the HISTORY of Wellman!    That is kind of a big deal!

But not this year.
But not this year.
And there was not a parade today.   I know it is a small town, but Wellman folks really like their Parade on the 4th.   I remember when we used to go to Dorr Michigan to watch the 4th of July Parade there.   Half of the people marching in it were related to me!  ( Mom's side of the Family)   What can I say,  Dorr is a small town, similar to Wellman.

Looks fun!  But not happening
this year. 
The crowd is waiting... in vain!
But without a Parade,  there are fewer people in town.   There are no yard  gatherings or family lawn meetin's.  In all, it seems like a rather normal Weekend,  hardly a national Holiday. I have not even smelled any BBQ!  No music from the Band Shell in the park.... Just a few Fireworks set off by local kids.

Muscatine! 
Pretty Wildflowers along the
trail. 

Well,  Cheryl and I went to Muscatine, as mentioned in the past post.  We braved the hot,humid weather and noted that Muscatine seemed shut down as well.

Riverboats are out!
However,  about 5 minutes after we arrived,  the trail began filling up with runners and walkers.  The HyVee was fairly busy as well.  More so than a typical Saturday.   Perhaps they will be having festivities later this evening.
Some green ones. 

Black Berries are getting
ready! 
I wanted to point out that as the Mulberries and Black Raspberries begin to decline,  the Black Berries are poised to begin ripening any day now.   And there certainly are a lot of them!

Small Field Bolete!
They should turn black soon,
Hope we can be there to pick
them!
Not only on the Kewash Trail, but also in Muscatine!   I fear that the Muscatine Brambles are too close to the trail, so casual bikers, runners, and dog walkers will have easy access to a trail side nibble.  This also means that Cheryl and I will have an easier time harvesting them, but I hate sharing berries.   And I hate hunting the "hard to reach" berries even more!  The Poison Ivy is in Muscatine as well, after all.
Still good!  Check out that Yellow
underside!
OH!   A Large one!
The Black Berry Brambles are also along the Kewash trail, so that is most likely where we will begin our harvesting.   Kewash is only 10 miles away, instead of 35... so closer is better.   However, the Blackberries are located in the same area as the Black Raspberries/caps...  so we will have to deal with the Poison Ivy at that time when it comes.

Mushroom Medly Tart!
Apple Turnovers!
In the mean time,  Cheryl has been perfecting her Turnover pies.   She fills them with berries and Apple... and then Drizzles the icing.   They almost look MORE professional than the ones at the Apple orchard or the HyVee.    She also made me a Mushroom Medly Tart.   I asked that she fill it with ever species of  mushroom we have harvested so far.  (Including the Dryad Saddle we harvested earlier this Spring)   It is very tasty.   And I appear to be the only one eating it.

My latest Origami Dragon/ 

With Spines along Back. 
As for me... I have been working on Origami.   I have hit a rut with my next Stop Motion video.  Many of the "cool" models are rather complicated.  And I do not want to make a 30 minute video that takes 3 days to fold... so I have been just folding the more complicated models and plan on animating them later.   Currently, I have been working on a Dragon...  Because I love Origami Dragons.

And Claws!
Huge Teeth and Horns!  (Ok,
Maybe not Teeth...
There are so many versions of Origami Dragons!   I have several that are my favorite.  Several because they are easy and look good,  and other's because they are complicated and look Amazing!   This model is an old one I revisited.  It has narrower wings, but I like the open back design.
Modge Podge makes him Stronger!

Cheryl and the Train in
Muscatine. 
After several treatments of Modge Podge,  It is secure enough so I may be able to move it around without having it fall apart.  I'll have to begin on that in the near future.

Hopefully,  everyone is having a fine 4th of July Gathering with Family and Friends.   And maybe you will have some Fireworks of your own to light off in the night.   I wonder which Holiday will be next on the Chopping block of Government Policy...

SUBARU AMERICA!
What I believe in!
Yes, I blame Government for everything.   And although I may deny it, I know that sounds an awful lot like a hardcore Libertarian.   I'm a walking contradiction after all.  I dislike hipsters and Hippies, but drive a Subaru  forage for Mushrooms and Wild Berries, shop at Farmer's Markets, and sometimes shop at those "Whole Foods" stores.  (Which makes me VERY uncomfortable...)   I'm Pro 2nd Amendment, but have no firearm of my own.
 I love the forest and hunting, but don't want to kill anything and I believe in clearing trees to make the forest healthier.   I like the American Flag, Love the Army, enjoy witnessing a little bit of Patriotism, but cringe at the Lee Greenwood song.   I'll admit  it only makes sense to me... But that is Ok.. Because I live in the USA. (Hey!  That Rhymes!)   Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy 4th!! Cheryl could open a bake shop!

Jon said...

I have a feeling that Big Brother plans to ban Independence Day permanently. This ploy has nothing to do with the pandemic. I'm glad you had a pleasant 4th despite the restrictions.

I don't know which I like best - - the turnovers or the origami dragon. They both look great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails