Friday, July 17, 2020

Gyroporus purpurinus. A Rare (-ish) Discovery

gyroporus purpurinus
It happens every now and then where we discover a new mushroom.  Gyroporus purpurinus is a small Bolete that looks just like the Field Bolete. (Hortiboletus campestris)   The thing is... It does not stain blue when it is bruised.

White Pores...Not Yellow like the
Field Bolete.
(Hortiboletus campestris)


So why so excited about a small mushroom?   I don't know...  "The wonder of Discovery?"  Just when you think you know it all, have seen it all,  and have  everything in life figured out,  you discover something new!   And it blows your mind! ( And makes you realize just how big, complex, and beautiful this world really is.)
Hawaiian Sweet Bread.
So, although the book says the taste is "non-destinctive." I would argue that it tastes "sweet".   Like a sweet bread.   Not too sweet, but noticeable to my tongue.    I have tasted lots of mushrooms that are sharp, bitter, bland, earthy and "meh" in their raw state.   Even the Bare-toothed Russula has no flavor when tasted raw. ( they taste like almonds or maraschino cherries when you cook them...  so awesome!)

Russula... From the Top. 
gyroporus purpurinus 
From the top. 
Yesterday I nearly passed this guy up believing it to be a Russula...Until I flipped it over and saw that it had pores instead of gills.  I then figured I had a Field Bolete...until I tried to bruise it and nothing happened.
Russula solid red cap. 
I then tasted it.   And it actually had a flavor that I could distinguish!  Cheryl then found several more near by.   All this time I was figured it was simply a Bolete that was still edible.  Only the Red Pored Boletes are "toxic" and may give you problems if you don't figure out exactly what you have.   We have never found a Red-Pored Bolete in our area.
Russula white stem. 
Russulas have gills, not pores. 
So... Other than it being a different species of mushroom.... is it edible?  The answer is: YES!  And we will be eating it with the other Field Boletes and King Boletes when the drying is complete.   Cheryl may separate them and feed them only to me... watching for any signs of  poisoning...  But I'm sure she only does this because she loves me.

Yellow Spore Print. 
Pores turn yellow with age. 
They are a pretty mushroom with that red, crackled top.  We know we have found several versions of the Pennybun (King) Bolete and never bothered to key them out.   Most Boletes are safe to eat... and are  choice edibles!   The Pine Bolete, King Bolete, and a few others are very similar in size and taste...  and are kind of difficult to key out.  Most Boletes have an Olive Brown Spore print, but the Gyroporus purpurinus  had a yellow spore print ( another exciting discovery) 

Red Crackle top..  A Rare (-ish) find. 
Not a real mushrooms!
Just another post about Mushrooms for Future Cheryl and Ethan to refer back to...in case they discover this mushroom again... in the same spot...  and wonder "What was the name of that one mushroom we found back in 2020...."

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope you survive the mushroom test! I will share this with you. I have a cousin who maybe knows his mushrooms. He always ate them until one outing with a group...and he was the only one to get deathly sick...he did not die but said it was a tough go:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails