Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Mushroom Bonanza! Oysters, Chanterelles, Boletes, and Russulas! Oh My!

Mushroom MADNESS! On our
Table Top!
Angel Wing Oysters
Last night, Cheryl and I found a tree covered in Angel wing Oysters.  They basically look like Golden Oysters only they are white and usually much larger.   Apparently,  they kill Japanese people... sometimes.   It is a long story, but other than that... They ARE edible.  ( as long as you are not old, have kidney problems... or are Japanese.)   However,  they are rather tough.   Far tougher than the Goldens and other Oyster mushroom species.  I have eaten them and found this to be very true.   Also,  they did not taste very good.   According to the book,  that is one of the reasons most people pass them by.
Coralville for running and hunting. 
First the running.,,
 But finding those mushrooms got me to think about the other mushroom spots we have not visited in a while.  So,  this morning,  Cheryl and I headed to Corallville for some running...  Biking.. And Mushroom Hunting.


Now the Hunting.  GOLDENS! 
It was early, but still hot.   Cheryl ran the trail while I kept an eye out for possible foraging opportunities.   It did not take long to find a tree covered in Goldens!

Old spot has Old Mushrooms. 
Don't thing I can reach those. 
We ran by the "old tree" where we first found Goldens so long ago.   We missed them again!   They have fruited twice already this year and we have missed them both time.    I was not terribly disappointed since I knew we were heading back to that spot near the trail head.
Time to harvest them
Russula next to a False Coral



While there,  Cheryl gathered up what she could in her hands while I filled the bucket I had on the bike.  It was overflowing!
Crab Russula ( Brittlegill) 
Mini Mushrooms in Mass!
We headed to the Subie to drop them off and gather up the "Real Foraging Gear"!  A couple of sacks Cheryl bought for mushroom hunting and my basket for the smaller, more fragile species.    We headed up the hill towards the Chanterelle spot.

Destroying Angel.
Deadly comes in all sizes!
We were disappointed!  No mushrooms were out on the hill in their usually spots.  All we managed to find were several Destroying Angels.  ( Poisonous Amanita Mushrooms.)   These guys are great!   First, they are very pretty and "perfect."  They look exactly like one would imagine a perfect mushroom to look like.  Second,  they are deadly... Just like all things beautiful..  These things will kill you!  Remember this when you are shopping around for a gun, car, or a wife!  ( That is why I love Cheryl and Subarus and Shotguns!)

Cheryl finds more Goldens. 
Back on an old tree we knew about before. 
Very fresh and new! 

Check out that color!
Getting back to mushrooms!   Cheryl suggested we head back to where we found the Goldens and check out another tree we know about.  It was just beginning to fruit!  So we harvested everything we could.


 One of the advantages of having a Dehydrator!  We can now be greedy!  And Greed is what drives our existence...  Or so they tell me on the news.





Crab Russula. 
Field Bolete!
On our way out,  I found a few Field Boletes in their usual spots.  Cheryl found a few Russulas. ( Brittlegills)   The Crab Russulas are very pretty but Sharp.   I bit into one and got that familiar "Hot Pepper" taste on my tongue.   ( Soo cool!) 

Blackened Russula.
Kind of Old.   Edible, Bruises dark...
If I had bruised it...
We also found a Blackening Russula!  At least I would like to think that is what it was.   I would have needed a spore print and I did not test it for bruising.   It looked old and I did not want to harvest it.  ( at least it is edible, but not choice.)
Chanterelles!


And Another... and another!And More!  
And finally..   We were almost out of the woods when Cheryl suggested we look on the other side of the trail.   We had found Chanterelles there before.  They were always too far gone.  However... This time was different!
Chanterelles surrounded by
Wood Nettle.

First, I would like to point out the ABUNDANCE of Wood Nettle all around.    It was everywhere where the light could reach the forest floor.   Thankfully, it was not as tall as in other sections of the Coralville woods.  I usually sweep my leg out and knock it down before walking through it.   Sometimes, it helps.

If you have never enjoyed the sensation of Wood Nettle on your exposed legs, feet or hands,   here is a method to replicate the feeling:   Tie an oil soaked rope around your leg and set it on fire.   Isn't that fun?    Now do the same on your hands and arms as you reach down to gather mushrooms.
Basket FULL.. And still there are MORE! 

And wouldn't you know it,  there was a "MOTHER LODE"  ( Spelling:  Not LOAD?) of Chanterelles.




Every time I would step down a bunch of Wood Nettle, I would discover another set of Yellow Chanterelles forming a trail along the floor.   You may notice Cheryl and I are not exactly equipped for "FIRE WEED"  but the lure of the Mushrooms continued to call us. 


Cheryl fears we will never leave
the woods..  there are just too many!






It seemed like they would never end.   It was HOT, It was BUGGY!  And we were surrounded by Hostile Plants and Nature.    Cheryl was ready to be done after what seemed like a very long time.

Eventually, we find everything we
can.

Two bags and a basket FULL!



When it was all said and done,  we had a basket and two bags full of Mushrooms.    We literally filled up the back seat of the Subie!     Good thing we have a dehydrator!
Subie's Backseat is covered.

Time to take Inventory.
And now,  the Clean up!   Similar to fishing,  after a successful day of catching fish, you inevitably have to come home to clean them.   And that task will be proportional to the number of fish/mushrooms you brought home.  ( Don't want to be wasteful)   Cheryl set to separating and segregating the species and throwing out the dirt, bugs, twigs and leaves. 
Today's Harvest covers our Table!

Next, we clean them up and prepare them for drying.  Looks like we will have to run two batches on this one.   I was surprised on how many Chanterelles we found.   These are the regular Chanterelles, not the Pale Chanterelles on the hill we found last year.  ( They are yellow-er and smaller)   I can't wait to see how they taste when they are dried.  The Pale Chanterelles actually tasted richer after they were dehydrated.
Separated by Species...for now. 

She also set aside a few for another Mushroom Tart.   Looks like all of the Boletes, Brittlegills, and a handful or bother Oysters and Chanterelles will go into this one.   It is bound to be Awesome!




Cheryl prepares the rest for
Dehydration. 




So that is how you transform Dangerous Mushrooms into an edible Tart.   Did I say Dangerous?  I meant DELICIOUS! DANGEROUSLY DELICIOUS! 


A Table Covered in Chanterelles! 
Yes,  Chanterelles are a choice edible!  ( And so are Boletes, Brittlegills, and Golden Oysters!) And I have seen people on YouTube cover their kitchen table with Chanterelles.
This guy is actually from Montana.  Chanterelles
Grow there too???? 





 I thought they must live in Sweden or Norway to gather that many!   But today,  I have discovered that it is possible if the conditions are right..... And if you are lucky to  be in the right place at the right time.  Today,  Cheryl and I must have rolled a Lucky 7 on the die.  (Is 7 lucky?   I don't really gamble... so I don't know.)
Perfect Chanterelles.



It was a full effort ordeal today.   I don't know if Cheryl will have the energy to go out and look for Berries later this evening.  I'm sure the berries will survive if we don't get to them.




As for me,  I am spending all of my effort crafting this blog post so future Ethan and Cheryl will have something to reference when they try to "remember that time" when they "found all those Chanterelles in July...."   Name, dates, and pictures are not enough!   I have to have a detailed, attention grabbing story to fill in all the information that will be lost at a second or third telling.



Wildlife Sighting. 
A HUGE snail racing past. 
  It is a HUGE responsibility, but I'm up for it.  After all,  Writing is my second best, non-paying talent that I have to offer.  I would be doing Humanity a disservice by NOT writing about every  molehill, mushroom, or snail that crosses my path.    Hopefully, I did not bore you too much with this long post.   If you have read this far,  thanks for stopping in and staying to the end! And Have a good one!

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow you have been living right to find all those mushrooms. I am pretty sure I mowed down some of those deadly ones:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails