Sunday, May 2, 2021

Muscatine Farmer's Market.

  Yesterday was the first Farmer's market in Muscatine.  We have been planning on going to it since September of last year!  But finally,   with all that cured soap finally ready,  we were able to attend.

There was a fear that they would not even be holding a Farmer's Market this year.  But last year helped quell those fears.  And this year, Muscatine seems right back to the way they always did things.   Simple!  Not a lot of rules.  Very Few restrictions!   In short,  everything we look for in a small close-knit community Farmer's Market.  
Iowa City has one.   But,  RULES!   Lots and LOTS of rules.  Plus they want you to commit to an entire year.   They assign you a slot.   If you miss two markets,  they give your slot to someone else.  or just take it away.   I can only imagine how Covid has given the bureaucrats even MORE reason to add even more rules.   I have heard that Cedar Rapids and Davenport are similar in their take on the open market...  but I digress too far...

Back to Muscatine,  Cheryl payed her $5 bucks and we set up bright and early in the morning.   It was COLD yesterday, before the sun had fully risen.  Honestly, I could have worn my GoreTex.  Cheryl wore shorts and huddled next to me until the sun had finally started to warm things up.   It jumped from 54 degrees with a brisk wind to over 84 degrees with 40 MPH gusts!  Good thing the show was over by noon, as that was when the wind was supposed to be its worst. 

We had good success.  Not as well as we had hoped, but not as bad as we had feared.   On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a solid 5+.    The Plus?   Well,  in the end,  Cheryl and I were encouraged to continue down this path.   We will work on fine-tuning things in the future and hopefully, begin building that customer base that returns week after week.  Similar to the Christmas Stocking model.    In fact,  we had several people hint that they will cross America to buy several months of soap from a small shop where their family lives.  I know the feeling as I have bought 11 cases of Honey Brown Beer from Michigan one year when we visited the Family.  ( They don't sell Honey Brown Beer here in Iowa.... Gotta get it when I can!) 

Other than that,  I think the set up went easy and had no glitches.   we met our Rival Soapers and had a good chat....  even exchanging Ideas and stories.    Turns out, they started their soap shop last year as well, but were able to just get into the market in August 2020.  Cheryl's Soap had yet to cure at the time, and we still had to assemble our tent, tables, and display.  So these guys had a few shows under their belt to gauge how things work out.  Cheryl and I have a little catching up to do.... 

When it was finished,  I was exhausted.   we had been up at 4 A.M. so sleep, or at least an afternoon nap was sorely needed.   Cheryl sold just under 20 bars... and we are hopeful that folks will return and as news of the market gets out,   more people will visit our tent.  Cheryl is already talking about making more batches and adding in some additional flavors.  

As for today,   Cheryl ran 7 miles on the Kewash trail and I finally replaced the Passenger Side Brake Rotor.  With several days of thinking,  I discovered I actually had brand new bolts for the Caliper Bracket!  So, heaven forbid, if I break a bolt... I had three replacements.   We also purchased liquid wrench, ( the best bolt lubricant you can buy, according to the You Tube testers.)   And some Butane for Cheryl's Torch.


Well,  failure is always expected.   First,  the Butane bottle developed a leak as I tried to fill the torch.  I was not going to mess with a highly flammable, pressurized can under a  car with an open flame if I could help it.   ( No need making this job any more dangerous or difficult!)   So adding heat was out.   I nuked the bolts with the Penetrating oil and let it sit for a few minutes. but in the end... I still managed to break one of the bolts off. 

Not a problem!  I had all afternoon to remove the bolt.  ( At least the bracket came off the car, so all I have to do is bring the bracket in to dig out that bolt.)  As luck would have it, the neighbor, who is 10 times the car guy I am,  happened to be home.   We were talking about the project earlier and he mentioned he had a torch in his garage!  I brought the bracket over and, with slightly more than a little effort,  we had the bolt removed.  He even helped remove the slider bolt pins.    For his assistance,  Cheryl baked him a cake!

Subie is buttoned up now.  Both sides of the front brakes are now done.   I also tightened up the alternator belt a little.( it was squeaking slightly) so, that is pretty much "mission accomplished!' for me.  I'll replace the throttle body gasket later.   The heat is telling me that maybe after Cheryl's race in Pella on Wednesday.   It is supposed to dip back down to comfortable temps after then.  we shall keep our fingers crossed. 

Hope everyone is having a fine weekend so far.  The warmer weather is certain to entice us outside eventually.  We need rain for those Mushrooms!  And it would be cool if Springtime in Iowa was not a wave of conflicting temps.   Freezing one day,  hot and humid the next.   Just sayin'....   Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope it all works out for you! I see you have sand bags...you may find they are a really good idea! :)

Val Ewing said...

Our Farmers Market opened up Saturday also and they have basically the same rules and have had them for years. It is pretty standard to make sure you keep showing up so they have a full house each week. I worked with a lady who made more each year from her organic garden and the farmers market than the job she worked with me at!
She's been at it for years and is doing very well with it.

I think your display is wonderful. It certainly would make me stop and take a peek at what is going on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails