Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The Kind of Mushrooms Even I Can Find...

I mentioned the other day that we found a stash of Golden Oyster mushrooms along the Kewash trail.   Turns out,  They were blooming in Coralville at the same time!   We were actually too late for several of our favorite spots.  Once the "Gold" is gone,  the Mushrooms are just a little too old for our refined palates. 

But we managed to find a few worth taking home.  Several of our favorite Trees have been completely consumed by the mushrooms by now.   They have the consistency of wet cardboard and are pretty much compost.   However,  there were several other spots that are just coming into our radar for Mushrooms. 

We harvested what we could yesterday, but there were a bunch that were just "pinning",  so we left them for today.  Besides, I didn't have my camera yesterday, so I was eager to get some pictures of them in their prime. 

Well, the Mushrooms did not disappoint!   They are what we consider "the perfect size" for harvesting.   Still a bright yellow!  They look like flowers in the foliage. We took all we could find and Cheryl is drying them up  for a third day in a row!   She has even hinted that we fire up the Pizza Stone for one of our awesome, "Everything Mushroom" Pizzas.  I'll take it! 

Cheryl spent the rest of the day baking up new recipes and I have been folding, cleaning and making bubbles.   I was having fun with bubbles the other day when it was humid and raining.   But now that the sun peeks out occasionally,  the heat and the sunlight make for short lived bubbles.   Even so, I manage to get them to float over several houses before they pop.   Sometimes I can get one to drift out of sight before popping,  which is one of the goals of the large, lazy bubble recipe.

And lastly,  Cheryl and I kicked up a Deer on the Coralville path today.   She about scared me to death, as I never saw her before I was right up on her.  She was right next to the trail.   Cheryl shouted and the deer ran off.  But not before I was able to capture her with the Camera.    Hurray for Snap Shots! 

Tomorrow Muscatine... More baking,  Perhaps more folding.  We have to prep for the Thursday show to make sure it was not a fluke.   Cheryl is constantly doing the math in her head, so we visited Stringtown and purchased 50 lbs of King Arthur Flour and 25 lbs of Michigan Sugar.  Buying in bulk is the easiest way to get your costs down without raising the prices and scaring away new customers.   But what do we know?  We have failed at just about every business idea we have ever tried, so eventually something has to work, right?  I guess we will find out.   Thanks for stopping in.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Have you ever frozen a bubble? Not now, but in the dead cold of winter.
I wished I had your keen eye and knowledge regarding eatable fungi. Perhaps I'll have to go out to see if I can check on those oyster 'shrooms in the back of our land.
I like trying to photograph bubbles in the sunlight...NOT easy!
Have a great day, hope the sale goes well for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails