Friday, May 7, 2021

Some Origami Therapy.

To calm my nerves before any event... even a Low-key farmer's Market, I sometimes like to fold.   The Fold Fest event from last month finally published the Recordings so I could go back and revisit the models I missed because... they were done in the time zone on the other side of the planet!   ( Japan, Vietnam.) To jumped into folding my one of my favorite Origami Master's model.   The Little Bird by Hoang Tien Quyet.

Wet folded... with thick paper.   He used painted Water color paper (180 grams, I think) while I have been using colored cardstock. I even painted one side to give the "Color Change" a go.   After only 5 attempts...I go this! 

I'm impressed with the smooth lines.   Something very difficult to master.   He did it first time in the video.  He must have folded this model hundreds of times.   

But I liked that he showed that there are lots of variations to the "base" model.  To give you an idea, I think the entire folding process is only 12 steps.  But getting the paper to behave the way you want it..without it creasing or ripping is a whole other level of skill.  I'm just impressed I can pull it off one out of 5 times. 

I also folded the Eric Josel gnome again.   This time with Paper Towel!   I wanted to see if the cloth-like paper would behave better.   Cheryl says he looks more like sculpture and less like paper.  I think that may be a good thing?   Regardless, I doubt I will be using paper towel on that model again.  It was kind of thick and looks "fuzzy".   But.. sometimes you have to explore. 


Just wanted to post these pics before tomorrow.  Muscatine Farmer's market is scheduled to be bone chilling cold tomorrow, and I'm sure I will have a bunch of pics to blog about.   Hopefully they will be blog posts of joy... or something like that.  We shall see.   Thanks for stopping in.

3 comments:

Val Ewing said...

That gnome out of a paper towel is pretty cool, it looks like it was carved out of stone!
I had no idea a person could create that out of paper. So how do you 'fix' it so it doesn't come apart? Are they sturdy? Just curious. Good luck on this cold morning. We are at 32...brrr.

L. D. said...

I am so interested in the paper folding thing but just need to force myself to sit down and do it. I figured out how to do the stork when I was 12 years old which was a long time ago. I taught a lot of kids how to do that when I was an art teacher. The bird looks difficult.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow your bird is awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails