Saturday, June 12, 2021

Farmer's Market, Soap Display, Strawberry Celebration... And Finishing Touches on Chalk Cat.

 The weather was more tolerable today, but still managed to get into the 90's.  After noting a problem last week,  Cheryl and I adjusted the tent set up so the Soaps were on full display in the middle of the tent.   We moved over to the side and allowed people to hang out and smell the soaps without worry of being run over by a stroller.   In all,  We managed to sell about half of what we sold last week.  Which is still better than Muscatine, so I guess I would put this market in the "win" category.   ( Our standards for "winning" are already very low.   But... What are you gonna do? )

I think the display worked out.  Cheryl says she liked letting the shopper's shop and "checking out" on the side when they were ready.   Possibly one of our greatest flaws in the business world in the failure to "sell" things.   By "Selling," I mean:  Actively pushing our product on unsuspecting people as they pass by.  I don't like high pressure salesmen.  So we try to let the soap sell itself.   So far,  it seems to be working out. 

Upon finishing the show,  Cheryl baked up some Shortcake and I hulled the Strawberries.   We added them together and MAGIC HAPPENS!   Strawberry Shortcake is perhaps the BEST way to eat Strawberries! ( in my opinion.) I like strawberry yogurt and ice cream just fine, But I would not dream of wasting these strawberries any other way. ( Chocolate dipped strawberries are fine for the store bought ones....  But not these.) Cheryl even whipped up some fresh topping from the left over heavy cream.   Wonderful taste of heaven on earth. 

After gaining a second wind, I headed to the park to finish the cat I started earlier yesterday.  It did not take long, and by the time I got there, the shade from the tree provided much needed cover from the sun.  The slight breeze and the lack of direct sunlight actually makes the outside pleasant to be in. Too bad the clouds could not keep the sun obscured just a touch more, so the heat would not be so overwhelming. 

Tomorrow is a new day!  And next week is a new week.  If the Summer heat lets up, I'm hoping the farmer's markets will pick up.  Oh!  And next week, Kalona is having "Kalona Days"  some event to lure tourist out to Amish country.  Perhaps we will be able to make up for the lack luster sales this week.  Or at least enjoy the 5k Race that will be starting right in front of our booth.   I can hardly wait.   Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

As a consumer, I appreciate being able to browse!
I do love strawberries but don't like to pick them. I did that as a kid for my Grandpa and he sold the berries. I picked berries and veggies 7 days a week. But I learned so much from working on his little truck farm [for free].

I hope the weather cools a bit and the market picks up for you.

That cat is beautiful!
Is Cheryl going to run in the 5k?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails