Thursday, June 24, 2021

Home Instead Of Farmer's Market.

 It is supposed to rain today.   Supposed to!  Right at 5 pm.... when the Farmer's Market starts.   It was totally dry yesterday...  But Today: 83 % chance of Rain.. Followed by 91% chance of THUNDERSTORMS!  With HAIL!  So.  We decided to take a break from Farmer's Market.   Of course only AFTER Cheryl spent the last three days baking stuff.   

But it feels right.   It currently is sunny and warm.  A few clouds in the distance, but nothing threatening.  I figured Mother Nature would taunt us in this way.  But there was much to be done here at home,  with The In-Laws approaching for a visit and all. 

Well, we need the rain.  For Mushrooms!  Of course.   And the plants could use some as well.   And all of the People from Washington ran like Chicken Little last time it began to sprinkle, so there was plenty of evidence that the rain would sabotage the event for today.  Still, it makes us a little indignant when the weather turns out to be less than accurate. 

Yesterday,  I spent the day harvesting Mulberries.   I noted them down at the park moments before a serious storm blew through.  Unfortunately, the wind must caused many of the overly ripe ones to fall off, because there seemed like there were fewer  the next day.   But, I went down and picked as many as I could

I spread out a tarp and shook the branches.   Faster method!  But it also has the down side of adding unwanted sticks, unripened fruit, and bugs! It only took an hour or so to get about 10+ lbs, but it took another hour to sort threw them.  In the end, I had to toss about 1/3 of my stash.  But at least the berries I did gather were ripe, clean, and bug free!  ( And they taste better when they are fully ripe. 

Tomorrow will be final clean up day so we will appear to look well groomed, clean, and "successful" for the parents ( in-law) It's all a ruse, of course!  But why not try to look better rather than looking like un-kept slobs with no self direction?   I would hope they would appreciate the effort.  

And besides,  there are things around the apartment that we have been neglecting ever since we have been working on soap and baking.   I spent the day re-caulking the Bathtub/shower.  It tends to have a mildew build up over time, and because the mildew is behind the caulking, it never really cleans up fully.  Well today, I dug out all the old sealant and scraped everything down to the paint ( as best I could.)  and then resealed it up with new caulk.   I also touched up some spots with mildew resistant paint.  I want to eventually replace the three walls around the tub.  It may require a permission slip from the Landlords.  But if we offer to pay, I'm sure they may grant approval. 


Cheryl has been cleaning and sorting and sifting threw stuff we don't need,  things we need, but only sometimes, and stuff we need but have no place for it.   Basically, we are clearing out the shop and putting everything in the shed.  Out of sight, out of mind.. Right?   Cheryl makes soap, baking labels, and organizes receipts.   I make Origami, Bubbles, Repair bikes, and make and store Chalk.   The spare room is a Very busy ( and cluttered!) place.   So sifting out the madness  and chaos can take an entire  day.  Good thing we didn't go to that Farmer's Market today! 

The June "Buck Moon"?   Maybe? 

I was vindicated just two days ago, when the rain exploded on us while the sun was still shining.  I had put off chalking in the park for fear of rain, and the forecast eventually pulled through.  I'm hoping it will again, with rain and thunder reassuring us of the correct decision.  It is rare we make the right decision at all!  So having our choices affirmed is somehow more gratifying than having never known if what we did was right or not.  I'm beginning to ramble, so I better call it for now.   Cheryl's folks will be here tomorrow, so we only have less than 24 hours to finish up our clean up plans.   Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

L. D. said...

Family visiting means cleaning and polishing things that we normally never do. It looks like it is going to keep raining.

Val Ewing said...

I hope you all enjoy the family visit.
The mulberries look amazing. I'm going to start picking some black berries soon. I was eating them this morning after the first storms came through and dropped up to 6 inches in some areas.
We needed the rain, but not that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails