Wednesday, December 27, 2017

An Exercise in Crazy...

Subie says it is COLD!
It is cold.   VERY cold!   This is not impossible for Iowa, but it  is pretty rare when temps dip below zero.   Subie's "Ball-Park" thermometer read -6 as the current temp outside this morning.   According to Cheryl's phone,   it was -10 and not about to climb up above that until after noon.  Of all the ideas that come to mind,  Being outside in weather like this does not sound like a good one.

Cheryl's phone says it is COLD-ER!

Bundled for Joy...
And so it goes that Cheryl chose to run anyway.   Why?   I don't know.   She complains that she has to sew stockings and can't run.    She complains that she has to score and can't run.  But when Mother Nature tells her, "No!"   She suddenly decides to play the "rebellious teen" card.

So calm and Peaceful....
So bleak and desolate...



So bright and sunny...
So cold! Face, hand, and Feet numbing cold!
Not that that is a bad thing.   Mankind is build on the thought that people refuse to accept their fate/destiny.  We do the impossible because someone tells us we can't!   Seems like a dumb way to do things,  but that is how it works.  Along with the good  comes a lot of bad, though.   You can't jump off a cliff and survive...   seems like a pretty smart thing to say.   But people jump off cliffs anyway....

Cheryl's face is frozen.


So where am I going with all this?   Well,   Cheryl wants to run the trail and says she will only run one mile.   Somehow....  she talks me into it.   And then one mile becomes two... three... four..   SIX!   Six miles out in the sub-zero cold. 
Arctic survival.  A lot has changed in 24 years

Now I used to run out in this temperature when I was in the Army in Alaska.   I was young then.... and dumb.  Now I'm older. 

Who is this guy? 
Looking forward to the Weekend...
So apparently,  my aging has not brought much wisdom.   But it had brought fragility.   I biked along with Cheryl those 6 miles and held my complaining until the end.   She got nice and warm running.  I got nice and cold biking.  Frozen hands,  feet, nose, legs, and rear-end.   It's funny how your butt gets so cold while riding a bike.

But we survived.  Cheryl is so happy for transferring her misery onto me.   But I'm warm now, and comfy.  I'm not looking forward to tomorrow.   Subie does not like this weather much either...  and Subie and I are kindred spirits.  I'm a little concerned about this coming weekend.   Cheryl's race may be cancelled if things do not warm up  in the next couple of days.   Fingers crossed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails