Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The Des Moines Turkey Trot Packet Pick up


It has been a long week.   Stockings,  questions,  running, and the internet finally maxed out on my phone.   But luckily,  Cheryl's phone renewed and we can use her hot spot now.   Saved! 

But that only explains why I have not been blogging.   Currently, we are in Des Moines using their FREE WiFi.   I always love the word "free!"   But what brings us to Des Moines?   Why,  The Turkey Trot, of course!


Where is the Packet Pick up? 
Cheryl signed up for another "I ate too much food and have to work it off" race.   The race is kind of big,  kind of short, and kind of a small affair.   Even the building they set up the packet pick up was dinky.   I would have shown more pics of there would have been room to actually take one. 
She is signing a waiver...

The packet pick up was short and boring.   But after a long drive,  we were both hungry.   Cheryl noted that we are right next to the Hyvee that threw that awesome Thanksgiving dinner last year.  ( We didn't actually get to participate.)  But now we could go in and scope out the area. 

Pre-Thanksgiving  Turkey Dinner.
It was great!   They already had turkey stuffing and all the fixin's for the Big day.   We filled our bowls with goodies and ate them in the bench area.   It was nice because we did not have to compete for space,  fight with kids, or bump elbows with strangers.  I'll admit I was getting a little grumpy afer a long drive on an empty tank.   But after eating there, I felt much better.


Stockings everywhere!
Stockings. 
I should also note that we had to make stockings this morning.   Cheryl was very concerned hat we might fall behind.  ( no one wants that!)   In fact, I still have to list some people's sockings so they can buy them.   Thankfully I'm using this awesome FREE WiFi.  ( Have I mentioned I love "Free"?)


The Resident Turkey of Iowa City

Near the Trueblood Trail. 
Speaking of Turkeys!   ( Did I mention Turkeys yet?)  There is a huge Tom that qwe see more times that not whenever we run the Terry Trueblood Trail.   He comes out to the road and we catch a glimpse.   A few days ago,  I managed to wrestle he camera in time to snap a passing picture.   But that is only Half the story.

He greets the School busses!
He may be their Mascot.
Yesterday,   we saw him on the other side of the road..  Greeting the School busses as they returned from their routes.  I don't know for sure, but I would be willing to be that  he comes out at the same time each day to greet the busses. ( Big Yellow Vehicles are easy to ID for a Turkey)  I would not be surprised if I found out he drivers feed him treats.  They seemed to greet him as they each took turns driving into the back lot.  It was pretty charming.   As each bus drove by,  the turkey would chitter ( not gobble,  but something like a chicken greeing)  at them.   If he would have had a yellow hat, safety vest and batton equipped, he would have looked like the School bus Mascot.
Don't forget to run tomorrow! 

So we shall see if we get into the Turkey Dinner special at HyVee.  If not, we have a plan "B".   Pie and Turkey at home.  Oh!  And Cheryl has to run... almost forgot. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails