Tuesday, September 15, 2020

The Butterfly Migration Has Begun...

This morning's run at the Kewash trail found us a flutter with Butterflies!   Monarchs to be exact.  It may have been the cooler temps from last week, but today, Cheryl and I were surrounded by them.  Dozens of them hide out in the trees as we pass by and explode as they fly off.   Then,   they follow us for nearly an entire mile!

Ok, it is possible that a single butterfly does not follow us the entire way, but there are always several in our wake as we run along.  Every time I try to capture them,  I only manage to capture three!  4 if I'm lucky.   If there are more than 4 in the shot, you probably will never see them.


But yet I try.   What else is there for me to do on the ride?   I'm just happy I brought my camera today.   Normally I have been leaving it home if we just run the trail.  I have already taken dozens of pictures of every terrain feature the cornfields of Iowa have to offer. But every now and then,   we get a wild life photo opportunity... like today.

We just finished a couple stockings and I was able to head to the park for some "Sidewalk Chalk" time.  I finished my second mural today.    Yesterday's Mural is still there!  Imagine my surprise that It did not rain last night,  washing the Mural away.  I try to get them finished before the kids get off from School ( Yes!  Iowa has school!   That is what you get from a Good Governor) That way they do not bother me as they walk past.  And I'm sure seeing a grown man playing around with sidewalk chalk may seem a little weird.   (That is why I need Cheryl around me all the time....  She offsets my creepiness factor.)

Today, I finished a Border Collie.  I don't know why,  I just liked the picture.   And Border Collies have always been a favorite of mine.  I certainly used a lot of black.   And I think one of his eyes is too big.  But after 2.5 hours in he sun, I was ready to be done with it.  (And the kids were on their last recess.) We shall see how long it takes before a Golf Cart ruins this one.

The Hops are drying away.  This is day two of the drying process.  Yesterday,  I finished one round and got 3 ounces!  I guess they tend to lighten up when they are not filled with water. I see that some of them area already turning past the point of use.   Once they turn fully brown, they are done.   But I have that huge bag that has yet to be dried.  And I really have no idea how many hops are required for a small batch of brews.   Cheryl does not want me to be greedy.  Translation:  It was difficult enough getting these, I don't see any need to gather more.  I don't really see any problem,  especially since we did not get any Poison Ivy this time.

 The Hops smell like fresh green Beans when they dry.   You would think they would smell like they taste:  Pine needle IPA beer smell.   But no,  they fill the kitchen with the smell of green beans... which is actually quite pleasant.   I continue to taste them and I could just chew on them all day.   I guess you know you are an Adult when you enjoy  the bitterness of a flavor. I can hardly wait to begin my first brew.  Currently, I have another 24 hours to wait on my root beer.  Then ... I shall begin the IPA process.

Leo the Part-Timer cat did not show up again last night.   I guess the other house must have wanted to keep him inside.   Cheryl hooked up the tinfoil covers for the new sofa covers so the cats would not scratch them.  Leo was SHOCKED by their appearance.   But that did no stop him from laying on the arm.  He certainly has an odd sleeping position.

Hope everyone is doing well this Tuesday afternoon.   Tuesday's are always such unsung heroes of the week.   It is not a Monday,  And not a "Middle of the week" day.  Everyone loved the weekend and Fridays.   But Thursdays and Tuesdays are the odd duo.  That makes me like them both.   Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I bet that is fun to see all the Butterflies...one year we had a mustard field across the road and we saw many butterflies...it was great fun! Your Border Collie is just perfect! I like Border Collies too! Have fun with the hops! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails