Friday, February 19, 2021

Popcorn!

Don't be fooled!  Mostly it just burns!
 A few days ago,  Cheryl had the hankerin' for some Popcorn.   But wouldn't you know it,  her favorite brand was "out"  in the Microwave version.  However,  there was a "normal" bag from the same producer...  we just needed a popper!


Who wouldn't trust Martha?

I had watched videos on how to make your own microwave popcorn from a brown paper lunch bag.   I even read books that suggest microwaving in the best way to pop popcorn!  (Wisdom suggests to not believe everything you read... Even from trusted sources...)  I figured this was the perfect opportunity to test a few theories and have some tasty fun in the process. 

OR... Doesn't pop at ALL!

Well,   The brown paper microwave popcorn method "worked."   I got a few kernels to pop at least.   I should also mention I burned almost as much popcorn as I successfully popped!  Cheryl wanted nothing to do with it.   I developed a technique to pop once, pull out the "popped" kernels, then send the remaining HALF for a second round in the microwave.   If you tried to pop the entire 1/2 cup all at the same time.. it would burn. 

How can I MAX the POP?

 

Eww!  What is this?

So that was not a very good method... in my opinion.   I am frugal!  And  a MAXIMIZER!  (Yes!  It is a real word:  One who "Maximizes.")  I can't see paying for popcorn if you end up throwing away half of it because it refuses to pop fully.   

I should not have been surprised, though.   My past  experience tells me that MOST microwave popcorn bags don't fully pop. Even when they are fully slathered with salt and butter substances.   Time to discover a new method!

So which method is Best?
 
More research...  more methods!  More suggestions...  But one method I had never tried was .... The WhirlyPop method!   One of the advantages was the lack of unpopped kernels.   I would have thought the "Air pop" method would have solved that, but apparently not. But no one wants another applier in the house if it is not going to work... right? 

New Popcorn Kettle.

Cheryl couldn't wait to buy a WhirlyPop pot. She chose one that was supposed to change color as it popped the corn.   Because....  Color!   I would have chosen one on it's durability, success rating, and customer satisfaction.... but what do I know?  That is why I don't make the Major Purchases around here.   

 

 

It's changing color!
But will it pop the corn?

Well,  it did turn color.  Which was fun.   And it actually worked at making the popcorn fully pop.  as I'm writing this..( shoveling down the last handful of buttery coated saltiness...)  there are only 13 kernels that didn't fully pop.   And that is actually not the whole story!  Only three kernels did not pop at all...  the other ten will be the crunchy leftovers that I snack on without breaking my teeth.  Successful?   Yeah,   I think so. 

Who knew turning a handle could be so fun?

This opens up a whole world of possibilities!   There is kettle corn, garlic herb, caramel corn,  peanut butter and toffee...  I will  have to see what other possibilities are possible.. assuming you can trust anything on the internet these days.  But what fun it will be to explore!

Fully Popped!

The kettle actually came with "instruction."   But who ever reads those?   ( Cheryl does!  That's who.)   Apparently,  you are not supposed to add seasonings or sugar or caramel to the corn until AFTER it is fully popped and leaves the kettle.  Well....  I was supposed to wash and  "season" the kettle with vegetable oil before even popping any corn to begin with, but I almost didn't... Because Cheryl would not let me do things MY way.  


Otherwise,   I changed the oil in the Subie.   We ran and biked 2 miles around the Lake in Iowa City. And now,  we are being bums on the floor.   I still may do another round of popcorn, since this is all I will be eating today.   Is it possible to go on a Popcorn diet?  I can only imagine it will eventually work because you would lose all desire to eat anything if you could only eat Popcorn three times a day.   I guess we will find out.   Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I recall those whirly pots, I didn't realize they made them anymore, glad it worked for you! WE had an air popper, I kinda miss it. Have fun!

Val Ewing said...

I had to go make popcorn after reading this. Yum!
My favorite popcorn to make was sugar/cinnamon buttered popcorn. Sweet and lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails