Sunday, February 7, 2021

This Weather Is For The Snow People.

Mr, Snowman is still alive!

 We attempted to go to town yesterday, but discovered that the roads are no very nice.   We managed to get to Iowa City in one piece, but I was not about to push my luck and travel the posted speed limit.   Subie is no spring chicken!   And A modest amount of caution should be applied when driving on roads that are pure ice...

Single Digit Temps!

I'm impressed he even starts when the temps dip down in the single digits.  He is not in a garage and has to sit outside all night... Not plugged in!  ( In Alaska,  we plugged in our vehicles to keep them from freezing to death.)  But, like a true champ... He roars to life and begins kicking out the heat before we even get to the school.  ( about a mile of travel time.) 

Pure Ice Roads!

Upon our return,  the neighbor upstairs got her car stuck in the driveway.   The snow is so deep and the plowed section is so icy, that when she "fell off" the plowed section,  she could not get any traction from the ground or the icy driveway.   We ended up having to dig her out for about 20 minutes so we could push the car up and out.   It was a good time...  For me.  

 

No traction for this tire.  She
should have bought a Subaru!

I happen to be a master of getting my car stuck in mud and snow.  (Mostly from my past history with that stupid Jeep Commanche. That thing was getting stuck all the time on level ground.   And left me stranded more times than I care to mention.) I don't take the same risks with the Subie that I once took with that Jeep, but the knowledge gained sometimes comes in pretty handy.  I also no longer have a tow-strap to pull people out of ditches.   Jeep Trucks can do things like that, but I don't want to damage the Silver Bullet Subaru. 

Sub-Zero TEMPS?!?

Today...  The temps are even COLDER!   -4 at the start, and quickly dropping to -6!   Subie started right up, but I did have to wait a bit to allow him to warm up first.   The power steering and brake fluids must have been like jello!

Roads are still terrible!

The roads were not much better than yesterday either.   It began to snow after we rescued the neighbor and we got another 2-3 inches.   I'm sure the plows spent most of that time keeping the roads clear and not scraping  and salting them dry.  It's all good, since I would rather stay home and stay warm anyway.  

Damaged Bike Rim.

Cheryl is getting antsy to run again.   She thinks her leg is getting better, but these extremely cold days definitely puts a pause on things.  She does not like breathing in the cold or running on the ice.   And I have been waiting for a replacement bike tire to arrive so I can fix my bike.   ( Spoke popped out of the rim...) Riding a bike on sheer ice is not very fun either.  

The Disastrous execution.

The Plan....

Hmm...  What a boring post!  I should delete it until I find something better to write about, but I have written this much and feel too lazy to think up another topic.   I should post my disastrous origami flower wreath experiment, but that thing ended up in the trash.   It took me a week to complete it and I really had no plan going in to it.   Plan:   Fold flowers and glue them on...  How difficult does it have to be?

 Perhaps I should have looked at a picture first....

At least these guys like the weather.

Well,  after completing it,  I realize there must be more thought to it.  I'll see if I can scrape up some more energy and motivation.   But for now,   I think I will simply conclude this post and call it a day.   Sorry for the long boring post... This is what happens when you are imprisoned in your small apartment due to a series of bad weather, bad government,  and snow storms. ( I just threw in the bad government thing in there for the heck of it.   Government has little to do with the weather, but why not blame them for everything? ) Thanks for stopping in. 

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

:) You have a warm spell...it was -15 F when I cooked supper. Yes blame the govt...that works for me. You had a good start for the wreath...you just needed more flowers and smaller greens:)

Val Ewing said...

Love me a Subaru! I sold my Jeep with a good riddance a year and a half ago. My son owned it previously and got the Jeep stuck in a swamp. That was an amazing story of how he got pulled out of an up north swampy logging road. A D-9 Dozer went in to get him. Kids.
I'm a wuss on bad roads but did years of driving them for night shifts. Glad not to be doing that any more.
Our roads are still really crappy. When I got into the post office even the town streets were crap.
I love the origami wreath you made! So colorful and cheerful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails