Thursday, February 18, 2021

The Frozen River.

Frozen Mississippi!

 We drove to Muscatine today, only to discover the entire Mississippi had frozen over.   I believe his is the first time we have ever witnessed this phenomenon. Normally,  we do not run near the river during the cold snowy months... choosing to remain local.   But... Pandemic and the utter insanity of the "city folk" have driven us to other options. 

At least the sun was out.   And the temps were not terrible... but still windy and cold.   Cheryl ran 2 miles and we headed to our favorite Pizza place for a slice of Breakfast.  At least the path along the river was plowed and mostly ice free this time.  

The only open water on the river was near the Grain bins.   Looks like they are installing new pylons for the barges.   I bet that is a fun job in this weather.    I do not miss the extreme cold of Alaska or Minnesota at all!

This afternoon,  I worked on another Mushroom Embroidery Pattern.   Cheryl drew the Field Bolete for me, so I did not have to fuss with an internet  picture.    I think it turned out pretty good.   Field Boletes are smaller, but fairly common in our own yard.   They taste like cream cheese when you cook them up.   Last year, we found and dried about 2 full ziplock freezer bags full!   (Dried!  So... That is a LOT!)   I have eaten most, if not all of them in various soups and pastries...  so I'll be ready for the Mushroom season to kick off any day now!   ( So,  Get Lost!  Snow....)  

The Windmills are WORKING!



Conquering the cold!


Hope everyone is staying warm.   Most of the blog posts I have been reading appear to be "hating" on the cold weather the same way we are here in Iowa.   Remember Global Warming?    Yeah,  Me neither....   Good thing Texas went full Green-tard during a winter cold wave.   You only learn by making mistakes...  right? (There is a lot more to unpack there...  but I'll leave it at my snarky comments.)  

Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You make me smile. I think there will be lots of discussion on the right "green" stuff...solar maybe...I support Global Warming! What a mess Texas is in, we have friends in a RV park and she keeps putting photos up...roads are too bad to leave. Stay warm!

Val Ewing said...

I had to laugh at the comment on energy. Our county has a really done well with solar and wind and the snow and bitter cold doesn't bother it at all. Texas doesn't winterize like the northern climates do. My friend in Texas has had no heat and now no water because it 'never' gets cold in TX. I worked at a nuclear power plant and coal plant. We had issues in severe weather but just issues and not breakdowns.
That said, I recall when I worked at the power plant when the river froze solid and we could watch deer walk across from one island to another! Very cool to watch on security cameras!
Yes, I still love winter but am looking forward to spring also!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails