Saturday, February 27, 2021

Balance...

Shorts weather again!

 It was supposed to climb to 54 degrees today.   We headed out to Muscatine to enjoy a river run and discovered that the Ice on the river was almost completely gone!  With the Sun shining bright,  Cheryl decided to run the extra mile.    The main trail is still covered with snow and blocked by the rail road tracks, so we are still limited to the cleared path along the river dike. 

Lone Eagle above the trail.

 

The Eagles which were on the ice guarding their prospective ice clearings have now moved to the shore.   One was right above us in the tree along the path.  I'm sure there were others creeping around on the other side of the river, but this one was the only sign of them we could see. 

The Ice is Gone from the river.

After a store visit and some Pizza, we headed home.  I was excited to have such a nice day to play around with some more chalk designs outside.   Being a weekend,  there were not many people out to bother me either...  Nice!    

Olaf was Easy!

 

 With the warmer weather melting all of the snow so rapidly, I decided I would try to focus on the several designs I have that feature snow in them.   Sort of a "Last Hurrah!" for the winter season. If I wait much until after the snow all melts, they will not make much sense, now will they?   I headed over to the daycare center and kicked out an "Olaf" Snowman in no time.   I positioned it  under the roof and near a window so the kids could see if during "Nap Time."  ( Because, kids never sleep during nap time... only Adults need a nap!) 

Hmm,  Rather scary looking.

Abnormal snowman!

My next project was the "Abdominal  Snowman"  ( Thanks spell check!... Does he do sit-ups in his spare time?) from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.  I quickly realized this was going to present a challenge, as the picture I had was rather funny looking... but my drawing was looking more and more "SCARY!"   Add in that I placed the drawing  right in front of the front entrance door... and I could not erase the outline.   I was stuck!

An Example of an Anime Lovely Item.

Giving young children nightmares was not my goal.  And living in a small town, I did not want the locals getting out their pitchforks and torches because I was terrorizing their children.  I worked on making the Snowman as cute and cuddly as possible, without turning him into a Teddy bear. ( which can also be scary.. if you think about it. )   I could not lose the teeth or claws.... and Abdominal-able snowmen have to have an angry expression after working out so much... in the snow.   The only thing left to do is add..."A Lovely Item." 

A Lovely Item has been added.

I learned this from watching Anime.   If you have a scary looking character that you want to look less menacing,  you have to add a Lovely Item to the scene.   A flower, a puppy, a cute little bird will capture the eye and help remove the "scary exterior" of the central character.   It works!  The Lovely Item for this monster would be... a floppy-eared, Chibi Easter Bunny.   

Lovely Item Success! Perfect balance!

Success!  You now focus on the cute little rabbit and NOT on the scary monster behind the mountains. 

 

 

Unless you are Cheryl. 

Cheryl with her "support."

 

 

 

Cheryl says that "Oh no!  The monster is going to eat the Cute, floppy-eared, Chibi Easter Bunny!"  Thanks hon.   That will help me build my confidence going forward.   Better board up the apartment when the torch-wielding villagers come to visit.  

How many can I add?

 

 

Well, it is too late now.  The sun is sinking fast and I have a sore back.   At least the kids will not be back until Monday.   If I'm lucky, it could rain and wash away the disaster.   I guess I could add an additional lovely item to the mix....  I wonder how many lovely items I can add?  Is there a rule or limit?  I'll have to look into it. 

 

 This page  of inspiration is finished. 

  Hope everyone is having a fun and fine weekend so far.   Stay warm!  And thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

He does look menacing,,,maybe add some flowers in his mouth or something:0

Val Ewing said...

Not so menacing with eyes crossed like that. The eyes are big and round and not squinty mean looking like some of my Dragons! Hey, how about friendly dragons? Cute dragons!
Truly you are an artist. I could draw stick people...maybe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails