Friday, October 8, 2021

Cheryl Prepares For The Driftless Half....

Greetings from Lansing, Iowa!  A Very Scenic place on the Mississippi near the Wisconsin and Minnesota borders.   Apparently,  you are supposed to be able to see into three states from the scenic outlook.  Supposedly....

The small city of only 1000 people is north west of Dubuque.  And once you get in that section of Iowa,  the topography changes. The rolling plains become hilly bluffs and cliffs.  There also seem to be a lot more trees here.  This is an area that brags about its fall color.   

After living in Michigan, I have to say,  the gold standard for fall color is pretty high.   But, given that this is still Iowa...  The State who's only Autumn colors are Gold and Brown,  This is a welcome change. 

I think there is still a ways to go for the peek color, but I will take what I can on this trip.  Mostly, I'm impressed with the topography and hills.   Apparently,  there is a "mountain" here.  Mt Hosmer!  It is apparently only 3-4 feet above the minimum height for a mountain,  According to Geologist or Topographist, or who ever is in charge of that stuff. Upon discovering this, Cheryl and I decided to do a little "mountain climbing!" 

There is a road and a park up on the top of this "mountain."   We could have taken the Subie, but Cheryl and I decided to walk ... Er, I mean,    "Climb"  up it. Upon reaching the top, I've certainly changed my mind.  It sure felt like a mountain!  I have climbed mountains in Alaska before, and I would put it on par with the "casual hiking mountains" that the tourist and Granolas like to climb. Cheryl took a few photos of the various areas that are supposed to be states on the other side of the Mississippi. 


I don't see a shoulder....

We had some time to kill before the packet pick-up, so we drove the race route to see just how much the elevation was going to kill Cheryl tomorrow.  Turns out, after a bit of a climb at the beginning,  it is mostly down hill! 

Stating the Obvious.

And the scenery certainly looks breath taking.  Even if the color is not in full swing, it will be a hoot running with a rock wall on one side of the road and a sheer cliff on the other side.    No pressure or danger at all!

 

As for me, the spectator, I will be allowed to ride along side her in the Subie on the road for most of the way.   Apparently, they do not close the road completely.  I will be careful not to hit any runners or get run off the road by oncoming traffic.  I will see if I can be more supportive on this one than I was allowed at the last race.  

 

As you might have noticed, it has been raining all day today.  Even after they said it would not!  Hurray for Iowa Weather predictors!   But the sunlight at the end of the tunnel is that the rain has stopped and it appears tomorrow will be dry for the race.   Speaking of "Gold at the end of the rainbow,"  There was a rainbow after the rain finally stopped.   Cheryl was able to capture it in her hand (s).  Several times, we could clearly see that the rainbow's end was just off the road, but every time we got close, it would move.   Talk about "moving the goal posts!"    I'm just happy Cheryl was able to catch it in each of her hands. 

We enjoyed some pulled pork sandwiches and Famous Amos cookies.  Tomorrow looks to be a limited after race part, with bananas and granola bars.  But if you bring your money, there is supposed to be vendors there offering all kinds of goodies.  I'm not sure if we will stay for very long, but there is a Fish Market I would like to check out before we head home.   If it is not closed tomorrow.   (The two shops Cheryl had planned on visiting, the ice cream/ burger shop and the bakery, were both closed today and tomorrow!)  That is what you get from a small town... Limited hours. 

Time to Follow Leo's lead.

The race is small.  I hear under 300 runners!   That is counting the relay folks as well.  So there is a good possibility that Cheryl will be running alone for most of it.  

Nap like Super Rocket!

But I should be there cheering her on and offering Ice Cold Diet Coke at key moments of Melt down.   That is the plan, anyway.  We shall see if I can actually do it tomorrow.   Fingers crossed! Now... Time to get some rest... Like the Cats!

Thanks for stopping in and Wish us both luck! 

4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope the race goes well for you both! Yes good idea not to run over anyone:)

Unknown said...

Be safe and do well. I decided to do the Apple Cider Run 1/2 this morning in Rock Falls, IL. Just seen it had under 60 registered runners so should be running alone myself. We look forward to seeing the both of you next week. Maybe we can do dinner Friday if you're up for it. Look forward to seeing your time.

Val Ewing said...

You will be running across the river from where I used to work and not far as the crow flies! This is the kind of terrain I live in. I know that road well also and have made many trips on it.
Check out Horsefalls shop. It is THE place to check out in Lansing. Hopefully the fog won't be too much of an issue.

Do well!

Jon said...

It isn't often that rainbows can be caught in our hands. That's undoubtedly a sign of good luck. Have a great day - - hopefully it won't rain!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails