Saturday, October 30, 2021

Shaggy Caps, Muscatine, Turquoise Berries, and Halloween Chalk.

There!  I think the title says it all.  Today, while biking in Muscatine, we finally found some Shaggy Caps in the usual spots.   We even found a few in some new spots.   Most of them were still harvest-able , but a few had already gone to spore.  Fun fact: Ink caps are unique in that they release their spores as they decay.  a cool process with a cool name: "Deliquesce"   Next time you want to look cool knowing trivia,  shout out that word... if you can pronounce it properly.

We filled my pockets and they are currently in the freezer waiting for the next time I make soup. ( tomorrow maybe....) I love these mushrooms. In fact, these were the first mushrooms I ever "Dared" to eat, having NO ONE to hold my hand to make sure I did not poison myself.  Oh, I did a LOT of research before hand, but eventually, you have to take that leap of faith.  I have never looked back with regret yet. 

Cheryl noted these odd colored berries at the end of our driveway.   I thought they might be wild grapes, but they have no taste to speak of.  They are pretty though, and Cheryl is probably hatching a plan to make some wreath out of them for the fall. I just liked the color.  It is not every day you see a berry that shade of blue. 

And finally, we finished 9 stockings today and I had a few hours of sunlight to go chalking in the park.  However, it turns out the park was preparing for a Halloween party in the building.   The guy setting things up told me I had about an hour and a half  before the party kicked off... So I quickly scribbled up a set of pumpkins.   I barely finished before a crowd began to form.  A couple of the parents even helped with some ideas.  It is rather simple, and sloppy, but it was fun fitting in at least one last chalk day before the weather goes colder.  

Thanks for stopping in.   We have some pumpkin patch run tomorrow.  a couple of friends will be running a Marathon in Ohio as well.   We wish them both lots of luck.   And beer!  Don't forget the beer.  


1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

I have no idea what those berries are, but they sure are colorful!

Oh and the trail I was on is alongside the river.

Good luck on the next run! Enjoy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails