Sunday, October 24, 2021

Using Hypothermia Possitively. Cheryl Runs the 5 Mile Pumpkin Dash.

If you are like me, making friends is rather difficult.  Mostly because I don't lump "acquaintances" and "friends" into the same camp.   How do you separate them?  Easy!  First I ask them if they will help me move on a Saturday.  If they pass that test,  I then ask them if they will help me move a body on Superbowl Sunday... 

Now you may be thinking it is no wonder I have so few friends.  But compare that to Cheryl's tactic:  Invite fellow runners to run 5 miles  in near freezing rain conditions.  Yeah... My method does not seem so bad now.. Does it? 

It was cold yesterday, but at least it was dry and sunny in the afternoon.  Today, however,  it has been raining all day.  ( ALL day!  It is currently raining now (6 pm)  and it has never let up.)And not a light drizzle...   It is windy and cold and there are flash flood warnings for the area.  Did I mention it was cold?  Low 40's!  Perfect for catching your death of pneumonia..  Or some other ailment not sanctioned my the Chinese Communists Party.

And on this day,  Cheryl had signed up for a 5 miles pumpkin run.  And then invited our new  running "acquaintances"  (Mike and Pam) to join us.  Not only was it cold, dark, and wet.. it was also about a 2 hour drive for them!  And still they showed up to compete.   This... is impressive.  So perhaps we should move them over to the "friend" category after all. 

If nothing else, it was good practice for being miserable.  Something we used to train for in the Army all the time. We linked up with them in the pavilion near the race and picked up our bibs and shirts.  It did not take long for the festivities to begin. 

The start was cold, wet, miserable... Oh wait, I think I already said that.  At least they kept the formalities  to a minimum and just shot the gun off to send the runners running.  Even with my Goretex, I was soaked enough to  make life unbearable.   Everything below my knees and elbows was wet, cold and numb.  I can only imagine what the runners were feeling. 

The race was two loops around the Island park.   Luckily, there was no traffic to speak of, and the route was paved.  I waited by the half way point for Mike, Cheryl and Pam to run by, capturing them as they passed.   I counted 17 runners, including the front female elite, ahead of Mike, and called them out as he ran  by. 

Cheryl was the 9th female runner, so I told her as she ran by.   

I waved at Pam and cheered her on when she passed by. 

On the final lap,  Mike was trailing the first female by just a few yards.   I cheered him on to Crush her in the final stretch, but he did not want to break her spirit.  Just kidding. He was actually thinking he would kick closer to the end, but did  not realize they had moved the finish line up from the start line.   Basically, he ran out of track before he could begin his final sprint. 

Cheryl, on the other hand, managed to climb a few spots and hang on to her lead, crushing the spirit of the woman that was just behind her. Well done Honey!  Demoralizing the competition and claiming your hard earned prize over their shattered souls. (Finally...Instead of having it happen to you... again...)

Pam Comes in for the Finish.

But all kidding aside, all three of the runners managed to survive the ordeal and we all had some cookies and hot cocoa afterwards.  Thankfully, everyone had a spare set of clothing to change into after the race.  It appeared that many of the other runners had the same idea, as they changed into dry clothes and shoes while we waited for the awards to be announced. 

Did I mention there was money on the line at this race?  No medal, but money?  That sounds good.

Mike missed winning the "Grand Master" award by just a little bit. Even with him placing in the top 20 ( I think... I counted only 17 people in front of him) He also missed winning his age group award by just a few yards, as  the guy he was chasing was in his age group. ( see above explanation on Mike's tactical failure...) 

Cheryl, on the other hand, won the "Female Master" division just a few feet in front of the woman in her age group.   $40 bucks!   The lady behind Cheryl was trying her best to pass Cheryl in the final straight away.   But Cheryl held on. ( Finally...  Instead of having it happen to her... again.) 

Pam won an Age group award for her performance too.  Which was no easy feat!  The biggest Challenge at this race was clearly the weather. Anyone who managed to survive that ordeal should pat themselves on the back and tell that story over an open fire next time they are at camp.  Because, adventure stories are more real and terrifying  if you have actually lived through them!

As for me,  the lazy, out of shape spectator. I managed to "win" an award as well. ( Mike gave me one of his  extra ones.)  Quite frankly I was happy with the free cookies and hot chocolate.  But I think I find a use for this major award by using it on my new bike.  It just so happens to currently need a water bottle at the moment.  And even though I did not run the race, I did manage to get a small case of hypothermia while snapping pictures.  (IF you think wet shoes and socks are grounds for Hypothermia.) 

So there it is.   Cheryl's new friends pass the Hypothermia test and I won an award!   How awesome is that?   Oh!  And Cheryl won some money... again!  Which is pretty cool too.  We later went out for burgers and discussed future running plans and capers.  These guys now want us to run some marathon relay with them.  Perhaps this is their test for us?    Who knows.  But I still think moving a body would be an easier method to judge someone's character and commitment. 

But then again, runner's seem to have different standards.

Hope everyone is staying warm and dry on this blustery cold and wet evening.  The Fall color is in full swing this weekend here in Iowa.  And if the wind continues, I'll bet the leaves will not last long. Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Cold wet miserable! Sounds like a runner's dream.
Runners are a kind of breed that don't care about weather it seems. I ran road races pre-Gortex and wore nylon wind pants. LOL

Good for Cheryl, what an awesome finish. Kicking at the end was always so much fun.

Kudos!
Oh. And barely any rain where we live.

Far Side of Fifty said...

yeah for making like minded friends! Cheryl won money again...way to go!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails