Monday, October 25, 2021

The Totally Awesome Hedge Ball!

Following Mulewing's lead,  I have been wanting to post a number of pics of unusual natural plants fungi and fruits  that I have gathered over the weeks  but simple find no time to post them.  Cheryl just HAS To run every weekend... and that eats up all of my time and mojo for blogging. But... I'm killing time between conversations for Christmas stockings, and thought I would post a quick post about the hedge balls. 

Hedge balls.  I had never seen one before we came to Iowa.   We had no idea where they came from or what they even where.  IT is never immediately obvious from which tree they fall from, since they roll, kids throw them, and the trees are usually fairly sparse when fruiting.  But,  we find them, especially on windy days.  Along the bike paths and sidewalks around home.  This day we found them on the bike path. 

They say they keep spiders out of windows and door corners.   I don't know if that is true or not, but whenever we see one, we bring it home and put it near our door.  Spiders around here are scary enough.  No need to encourage them if we can help it. 

Stockings were brutal today .  Sure, it was only about 25.  But it seemed like a lot more. And there are lots of Questions that I am still answering.  So, I'll try to keep this posting short.   Post the Hedge balls, a stocking or two, and my latest short-lived sidewalk drawing.  It rained HARD yesterday, so it is completely gone by now.   But on the blog... It will live forever! 

Thanks for stopping in.

3 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Wow on the rain, we got very little, but I heard it hammered some areas.

LOL on the hedgeballs. I've known about them since I was a kid and yes, we tossed them around a lot. We called them Osage Oranges but you can't eat them.

I did see an interesting article on them! Some chemist in Iowa figured out how to use them and pays a lot of money per ton for them!

Well, it looks like between running and stockings, you will be very busy!

Jon said...

I've heard of hedgehogs (thanks to Alice in Wonderland) but never heard of hedge balls. If they keep spiders away, I could sure use some.

The Christmas stockings are really delightful. Your place looks like Santa's work shop.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I see them in the stores, but have never seen the tree that they come from. Spiders ay...that would be good:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails