Wednesday, January 12, 2022

17 Mile Training Run in Davenport.... Complete!

Today was a pretty good day!  The wind was mild and the temps hovered in the upper 30's.   A fairly nice day for running a long run in Davenport with the Zakoseks.  

Now, I just want to let you know up front that I'm supposed to post pictures of this event.  But let's face it,  pictures of people running 17 miles is pretty boring.   I should know!  I have dedicated entire posts to just  one person running...  So you can do the math and deduce that pictures of  two runners would be twice as boring!  So I will try to keep the pictures of the Runners running  ( And "Runners" walking....) to a minimum.   

The path was mostly clear.   I would say that it was an improvement over the Clinton path, but still had a few spots that could have been buffed up.  And since the dynamic Duo took several walk breaks... usually over the icy areas,  it was understandable and mostly forgivable....  For now.   (Marathons don't run themselves.... Ya know..)  

As for Pam and me, we had to navigate the patchy snow and ice on the bikes.   All the while dodging two runners would randomly decide to become walkers at the drop of a hat.  It was a harrowing affair.   But, together, all four of us managed to pull through.   Time for Pancakes!

It did not take long to rumble up to Jimmy's Pancake House for some kibble.   Mike, as tradition would have it,  teased the waitress again,   ensuring his order would have a double order of spit.   The waitress even kidds him about it now. ( Kidds?  You mean she is HONEST with him... )  She is a sport and now has become used to our ( Or mostly Mike's....)  Shenanigans. 

Speaking of Shenanigans,   after our fuel up, we headed to the Mall to kill a little more time and extend the visit.   Mostly because Cheryl and Mike were cramping up.   I know,  "cramping up after only running 17 miles?"   Yes, Yes,   Apparently,  part of the training process is to run until you suffer.  And untrained runners have to continue to push themselves to the point of crybaby.  It is a process that is familiar to seasoned marathon support crew.  But I digress....

After Runners run 17 miles.... This happens!

At the Mall,  Mike and Cheryl continued to walk around and go into every shoe store the Mall had to offer.   ( I never knew there were so many shoe stores at the Mall before....)   And, feeling the endorphins of exhaustion,  they decided to test out the rides at the Kid Court.   

As for me,  I did not want to suffer the humiliation of making a spectacle of myself. 

Well,  OK... There was that one time in Dillards.   But that could totally be appropriate if we were selling cars or announcing for Monday Night Football..  

Back home now.   Snow is predicted for next week, so the next long run may be indoors again.   We shall see.   I did not mind that too much since I was able to fold  some   Origami.  But I do enjoy the great outdoors when the weather is tolerable or even pleasant. ( given the last several days.) I guess I could go either way.  That is just  one of the skills sets that the support team has to bring.  Runners just have to run.   Easy and simple.   But Support members have to stay flexible for the whims of the runners when they randomly change their minds.   So.... we shall see.

Hope everyone is having a fine week so far.   Cheryl will most likely take tomorrow off from running because of her ankle, but she needs to take a break anyway.   Snow is predicted sometime on Friday, so there may be another change in the future.   In the mean time,   Stay safe and warm.   Thanks for stopping in.   243.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Looks like a great time! I was lucky enough to do training runs with my sister quite often back in the...day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails