Thursday, January 6, 2022

Say Hello To The New Cherry Bomb Subaru!

The Cold Weather and the frozen battery have triggered an urge in Cheryl to look for a new Subaru.  One with less years and fewer miles.  And although we have looked before with limited success,  two days ago...  We found one that checked all of the boxes.  

I always say that if  things go well, it was meant to be.   There is more to that saying, but basically, if we have to struggle too much, we probably should not go down that path.  Well,  the stars seemed to align for this one.   And I was impressed that we currently have it parked next to the Silver Bullet. 

So, there was a bit of a struggle.  We had to travel to Kansas City yesterday... In the Cold.   And the Extreme wind chill!  It was an all day affair... Not counting the actual paperwork we did, which took very little time at all.   The  guy was very helpful and courteous.  

Unlike Silver Bullet Subie,  This time, we had to split up to drive both cars home.  Cheryl drove the new car and I lead the way with the Legacy.  It was a cautious affair, because both of us are not used to driving in the dark.. or the extreme cold!  And Cheryl was not used to driving much at all, since I do most of the driving with Silver Bullet.   A moment of anxiety occurred several times where I was terrified Cheryl would burn up the new car on the maiden voyage home.  

You see,  the transmission in this car has an odd automatic transmission.   Once you put it in drive, you have to push it UP as the RPMs climb to the proper count.   So I'm going 60 miles per hour in Kansas City. ( speed limit 70 or so..)  And Cheryl is driving behind me with the RPMs rising to 5500!   And the gears are not shifting! You would think we would have discovered this on the test drive, but I never got the speed over 40 mph because we were in town.  For this reason  I drove incredibly slow for almost the first 20 miles.   Until we got out of Kansas City and could pull over to evaluate things.  By that time,  Cheryl figured it out and we were able to drive normally. 


So.. What did we get?    A 2009 Subaru Impreza  Sedan.  There are some bells and whistles, but mostly we like that it is as simple as the Silver Bullet Legacy.  It does have a touch screen, that I personally do not like, BUT it does NOT have a moon roof.   Which is awesome! ( they leak, they rust, they lose heat, and they are expensive to insure and replace.  All for a mostly unused cosmetic accessory. ..nuf said!) 

When we first saw it, we immediately thought "Cherry Bomb" and so that is its name.   The pictures made it look red, but when we actually got there to see it in the Sunlight, it turned out to be more of a brownish red.  The Actual name of the color is "Paprika Red Pearl",  But that is a mouthful.... I personally think "Brick" would be a cool name, but Cheryl is sticking with Cherry Bomb.  

Cherry Bomb has a nice ring to it.  And I have thought of all of the symbols I can create for such a car with such a name.   My ideas of having a well-endowed Blond riding a bomb was instantly crushed by Cheryl. She says that our Subies  have to be named after some destructive force or instrument of war. A Sexy Female does not fit into the equation.  (Ever date a Blond?   There is a war right there...)  So WWII B17 Nose art is out.   That also goes for Beer Labels. 

I will have to work on the image later.   For now, I'm happy we all arrived safely home and everyone is no worse for the wear.   Cheryl is busy getting all of the insurance and DOT stuff prepped when  the official title arrives.  As for me, I have been working on the small things to keep the Silver Bullet workhorse up to speed.   Namely:  The cold temps cause the fuel lines to constrict, causing gasoline fumes to flood the passenger compartment during Idle. I guess this is fairly common.  And I had to tighten the screws on the fuel lines that went to the fuel pump.   Currently, I believe it is fixed, as I did not smell any gas fumes afterwards.   But little things like that make Cheryl think that Silver Bullet's days are numbered.  

The wind Chill was a Ridiculous -20 today!   Cheryl still insisted on running 4 miles this morning.   I froze my face off and that is when I realized Cheryl would swim through lava if she thought it would help her training. A very dangerous philosophy to be so fearless when it comes to something you are passionate about.   But what do I know?  I'm not a runner. 

No real plans for the rest of the day. The New car is not in Kansas anymore...  We had fun with Sylvia on Tuesday.  (It is always fun to hang out with friends...) I will probably play with the cats and try to relax.   Being cooped up inside is irritating sometimes.   For that reason,  the cats have been playing with their Christmas Present quite a bit.  Rocket is used to being able to go outside, but this cold makes him second guess his desires.   I have no idea what the other two cats are doing out there, but they have been very eager to spend the nights inside a warm apartment.  

Hope everyone is staying warm if you are in the deep freeze belt this week.  Things are supposed to get warmer next week, but not until after the weekend. In the mean time, we may have to do some running/walking in the Wellman Rec Center.  We shall see.    Thanks for stopping in!  244.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Congrats on the new to you Subaru! Imprezas are nice, I think they have the same shape as my first new Ru that was a CrossTrek.
As a 'Ru fan, I can only say yippee!

It is freaking cold this morning. -20 or something like that. I will wait until this afternoon to head out to get my big grocery shopping!
Brrr.
Stay warm.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice ride! Good color, I hope Cheryl likes it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails