Sunday, July 17, 2022

A Few Mushroom Finds....

 After the successful Chicken of the Woods finds, I decided to take a trek out to the same location after work this evening.   Unfortunately, I did not find any more chickens.   BUT!  I did find a few other tasty morsels to enjoy.   And just enough for me to consume and not have to worry about any over abundance.  

One of the first finds were these beautiful Jack-O-Lanterns.   Yes, they are toxic, but look how pretty!   I know a lot of pretty things that are toxic,   so best to look but not touch.  Or in this case... Consume!

Later, I found a number of large Russulas!  The squirrels and chipmunks have been having a grand time sampling them,  so I wanted to see if they were edible.  I thought, at first, that the red stain on the stalk made it out to be one of the bitter ones... BUT NO!  They were sweet!   I gathered all I could find and put them in the bag.

I also found a number of other small mushrooms,   A few expired Boletes.  And even a few that might have been salvageable.

Bolete? or Suillus

There was another Bolete that looked vase shaped, but I have never seen one like this before.  And since I left all of my mushroom books back in Iowa,  I figured it would be best to Pass this one over. 

Crowned coral mushroom.  Tasty!

After an hour or foraging, I got enough to fill a frying pan and eat over a salad.   Not a bad day, if you ask me.  

Today's Mushroom Medley.

I'm excited for the future...  Knowing there are large milk caps and russulas in the area, makes me think that there is a good possibility for Lobsters!   Wouldn't that be a find...

Hope everyone had a fun Sunday.   I had to work...so as fun as a job can be.   Thanks for stopping in.

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

That is so great that you found an area to go 'shroom hunting in!

Stay cool this week. Thankfully you have the lake nearby, that is one of the things I miss about living in that area.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails