Saturday, July 23, 2022

The Madison Mini Half Marathon. 2022.

It has been a while...  But Cheryl ran the Madison Mini today.  And I was there to cheer her on.  What is there to say, other  than she has done this race a number of years before.  But with a two year gap due to Pandemic and general social Chaos.... Cheryl decided that the price would be worth the effort of trying to do it this year.   And best of all.... She got to see me! 

This year seemed a little more subdued when compared to previous years.  I remember the Expo being in a full auditorium with mascots and celebs and lots of vendors.   This year,  it was in a small room in the basement of the runners club building.   Very small indeed!

I'm not sure about the numbers of previous years, but this year the half marathon had just over 2000 people.   That still seems like quite a few folks.   But the race itself was backwards through a bunch of construction.   No mascots, no band,  no celebrities this year.  Just runners. 

That did not seem to dampen Cheryl's spirits.   She was dancing to the music as we waited for the start.   

Did I mention it was hot?   90 degrees!  And Cheryl was not very well trained for this one.  And even if she was, she never runs in the heat very well.   She said there were moments she considered bailing on the race altogether.  But she has her determination and pride to consider.   She figured that even with a bad time, she would still finish it.  

The heat effected everyone else at the same time though.   It certainly appeared that everyone was struggling. 

With the finisher's medal in hand,  We headed to the lake for some beer and after race thoughts.   we decided to head back to the Hotel room and clean up... and then  On to IKEA!

That is right!  There happens to be an IKEA in Milwaukee.  I drove by it on my way to Madison and just happened to mention it.   Cheryl needed some new Sofa covers for our Sofas. The cats have done a number on them over the last couple of years and it is time to replace the upholstery.   But more important that that!   I wanted meatballs!

Swedish Meatballs from IKEA.    Call it a guilty Pleasure.   I simply love the cafeteria food presentation.  And the nostalgia of previous IKEA visits.   We ate out food and headed into the store to buy a few items that required replacing.  One very important item was my Coffee Frother!  Without that essential tool,  I have been forced to mix my coffee with a SPOON each morning!   ( I know,  How barbaric!)   But I got a new one today and it works splendidly.  I can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning.  

The big disappointment was that the overs that we found  on the show room, and the ones that Cheryl wanted..  And they were on SALE!  But.... they did not have them in stock.   Isn't that just the way things go?   Well,   I got my stuff, that that is the really important take away.  

We said our goodbyes and Cheryl headed back to Iowa.   I have to work tomorrow, so I had better get to bed soon.  I'm just waiting up to make sure she got home safely.  Especially since it is supposed to storm and rain tonight.   ( I think it currently is outside as I write this...) Hopefully, she missed it completely and will be texting me as soon as I finish this.  

Thanks for stopping in!  I would say that over all, this was a pretty good weekend for me.   More  good than bad, generally.   There was more to that story, but I will have to leave it a mystery as this blog post is getting long and it is getting late.   I will leave you a hint:   False Subie alarms,  Job moral, and uncertain  Wisconsin Future.  I'll keep it vague, but specific enough to send the rumor mills into high gear.  Have a great Weekend!

4 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! I cannot imagine running in yesterday's heat! Go Go Cheryl! She is tough.

I do like IKEA and there is nothing in the SW part of WI that even comes close to it. I've been to that one in Milwaukee with my son and it was a fun time.

Hopefully everyone traveled just fine!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for a good race Cheryl! Good that you could have a weekend together! :) I have never been in an IKEA store...:)

Jon said...

Kudos to Cheryl for running in that sweltering heat. Your weekend sounds hectic yet enjoyable. Glad you had some time together. Take it easy ....and stay cool (is that possible?)

L. D. said...

You are living a different kind of life situation. I am glad Cheryl did well with the race and you both had some fun things to do. Good luck with future plans.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails