Monday, October 23, 2017

Another Rainy Run. With Eagles and Stockings.

How else are you going to title it?
Five Miles of Hills.
I almost feel like I'm developing a catch phrase.   "Run in the Rain,  Rain Run, Wet Wild and Wainy...."   Something like that.   Similar to McCoy  trying to tell Kirk that the Red Shirt has been killed....again!     (Am I Geeking out with my Star Trek References? )  But how else am I supposed to say it?


In the Rain

And leaves
Try not to slip on the downhill...
Anyhow... after that warm day on Saturday,  a cold front moved in and brought some showers.  Luckily, it was more of a light drizzle/mist and not a downpour.  Cheryl bundled up and we ran the hills in Coralville.  It was one of those cold, breezy peaceful days with lots of other people enjoying the autumn color.

Eagle Taking off.


I have been hoping to see a deer on these runs.   I guess the bucks have not been in a hurry to show off their antlers to the general population yet.   Still,  I try to have my camera in hand in case I get to see an unusual animal sighting.   Like this!

As mentioned briefly before,  the Eagles are coming back.   Rarely do you get a chance to see one up close,  but there was one on a carcass right next to the road.  By the time I realized it was not a turkey vulture,  He was already airborne.  I barely had time to grab the camera and snap away.   A few parting shots were all I could capture.


Today'sgloomy skies

Today was a little drier,  but still cool.   And the stockings have been picking up.   Cheryl continues to work on the custom dogs that occasionally come in.... and score for Pearson and ETS.   She is a trooper. I try to help by messing up the kitchen,  leaving heaps of dirty dishes in the sink,   and give her a massage while she is scoring.  I also get to do the embroidery and button work on the stockings.... and that is kind of a big deal.

Running on Kewash Trail
Do you see the Sumac?




The Autumn colors here pale in comparison to what we took for granted in Michigan.  However,  every now and then you see a splash of color that sticks out and you get to appreciate it better. Like a small candle in a dark cave.     And so it is that I noted these sumac trees with their bright red leaves.   It reminded me of a memory I have about my Dad.

Hint:  It's the RED stuff.
 He was color blind...but  it was difficult to tell unless he told you.  One time, Cheryl and I were walking on the property with him and there was a BRIGHT RED plant of some type.  ( Possibly sumac,  can't remember)  It Stuck out like a beaming lighthouse on a pitch black ocean.  And my Dad could not see it.
4 out of the 12 stockings this weekend. 
See the Custom Doggies?
 I was blown away.   That was the first time I realized just how big of an impact color blindness is.   It was similar to these pictures.   And if you do not see the color contrast...then I feel for you.  Color blindness is really a sad thing.  All those Wonderful colors you miss...Especially in Autumn.   ( And Spring, I guess.)

Hope everyone is having a great week so far.  I guess Monday is not really a gauge for that,  but I wish everyone the best all the same.   Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails