Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Biking In The Heat. Messing With The Subaru.

biking in the Heat.
Gnats and flies stick to me. 
 It has been very hot and humid the last few days.   So hot that when we ride our bikes, the flies stick to us like Flypaper!  We still manage to bike around 15 miles each day,  but that might come to a close soon enough.   We begin work at Pearson tomorrow.  With a little luck, we will pass qualification ( if there is one) and continue on until the next project.   Apparently,   we are scoring 5th grade Math.     If there are incentives and speed demon scorers..  the project may be scored out faster than first predicted.  We shall find out the real story tomorrow...
Let's visit Kewash.

No to bad.  A few improvements.
In the mean time,  Cheryl and I visited the Kewash Trail yesterday.   They have been making changes to the trail this summer.  And since were have not visited it since that day when Cheryl first got her bike,   we have missed many of the upgrades.  New parking, New signs,  Removal of those pesky gates that we were forced to ride around.
Except for the Trees.
However,  one thing that still puts this on our list of "last resort" trails,  is the gravel, bumpy trail and the low maintenance.
No more boy scouts to clear trails.
 Sometimes the boy scouts come out and fill the rabbit holes and trim the branches.  But since the Boy scouts are no longer,  the trees that fall over the path remain.   Cheryl had to pull her bike over the large Cherry branch that had fallen over the path.  It must have been brutally windy there last week.

Small rust spot, Easy right? 
Let's remove that rust.
With the last of our "free time" coming to a close, I took another stab at fixing up the Subaru.   This time on the other fender.   I knew it would be a challenge in the heat, but I thought it would be easier than the driver's side.

I was wrong...   Well, mostly anyway.
Ghaa!  It is worse than expected.
Rebuild the corner.  

The small connecting screw had, once again, rusted in place and had to be completely rebuilt.  I tried my best with the fiberglass filler,  but it remains a "patch job."  Even now,  I'm trying to come up with a better method of attachment.   Currently, it is being held on with a simple binder clip.  ( which is working far better than I had first even hoped!)
Strengthen with fiberglass.
Cover with Bondo.
For the most part,  I am "satisfied" with the results.  I could have done better.   If the heat and sun had not been so obtrusive.

Add Primer.
Patch it all up!  Waiting for Paint.
 But for now,  I await the paint and plan on sanding down the last small patch of rust near the front fender... Only when I find a free day that is pleasant.   At the very least, that small section does not require any Bondo.

At least no Bondo needed.

My last couple of spots.
So that is all for now.  I have been trying to keep my plants watered so the heat does not kill them.   And it rained a bit last night and this morning, so perhaps the heat wave has subsided for the moment.  Jun and July are still to come,  so I'm sure there will be more high temps.   Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails