Friday, May 18, 2018

From Madison to Stoughton. The Syttende Mai 20 Mile Race!


HURRAY for NORWAY!
We are currently in Madison Wisconsin preparing for Cheryl's 20 mile training run.   We call this a "training " run because she needs to get at least one 20 mile run in before Grandma's Marathon in Duluth later in June.   Hope that was not too complicated to follow.
Easy Travel with Geese and Ducks.

Having the entire Friday off for Travel was nice for me.   We arrived with lots of time and were able to scout out the race route.   I'm guessing that it will be rather small in number.   The race starts with 17 mile walkers,  and 10 and 20 mile runners...  All running the race on the same route.   So there will be a mix of participants.

We scope out Stoughton.
No Medal?!?!


I should also note that there is no medal.  Only a shirt if/when you finish!   So Cheryl better be stubborn on this one.   She usually melts down on 20 mile training runs...  at least once.   But with a bunch of strangers around,  I'm hoping she can keep things together.  And if she does end up walking a little...  Well,  she will blend right in with the 17 mile walkers.   No one will be the wiser.

Cheryl inspects the Festivities.
I see the Appeal of Norwegian culture.
We both agree that if she has to walk a little,  it is ok.   There is NO MEDAL after all.   So even the RACE OFFICIALS think it is not a "real " race.  The real reason for the race is to help kick off the Norwegian Festival in Stoughton.   I guess Norway is a popular place in these parts.  Who knew?


What are these things?

Can Scandinavians bake? 
Add Sugar and cheese Americans will love it!
We had time to scope out the festival as the set up .  All the locals are prepping for the  influx of tourist dollars as well.   We stopped into some of the local sweet and toy shops  so Cheryl could get her "shopper's fix".   I mostly enjoyed the tarts.   Scandinavian cuisine is not really known around the world  for its flavor.   But add in a touch of  "America!" into their recipes, and you have something that is at least palatable. 


BEHOLD!  The Salad Fork!
My heroic act allows Cheryl to eat. 
So now,   we are eating our supper by the pond outside the hotel.   I found Cheryl a fork so she could eat her salad.   I have to take my "Hero" moments when I can get them .   Other than that,   we plan on heading in and resting for the early rise tomorrow.   If things go well, I will be able to see her at multiple points around the distance.   No "wrap arounds" or Circle back's in this one.   I will have to drive 10 miles ahead and wait...  then drive to the finish line in Stoughton.   My goal is not only to be able to find/see her,  But also not to get lost.    At least I'm not in Boston.
I think it will work out just fine.

A temporary substitute for the medal.


Hope everyone is having a great weekend.. Or at least the start of one.   We still might have to find Cheryl a medal or some other way to commemorate this event.   Until then,  I think I have a temporary band-aid for the problem...  Pun intended.    Thanks for stopping in and wish us luck!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails