Monday, May 21, 2018

Rain and Deer. In Iowa. While Cycling.

Perfect Running Weather
 The last couple of days have been overcast and gloomy.  Perfect for running if you don't want to get too hot.   But Cheryl had to take Monday off after that 20 mile long run on Saturday.   Perfect time to ride the bike instead.

Dress warm,  Dress for the Rain.
Preping in the mist
Unfortunately,  along with the clouds and gloomy skies comes rain.  It has been raining off and on these days.   Mostly a fine mist.   My tomato plants and Cardinal Creeper are very happy.   But riding a bike in such weather can be uncomfortable at times.
Cheryl's new Ringer!


Even though the temp says 65 degrees,  When you are wet with a slight breeze... it feels colder.  I would have thought I would be done with my cold weather gear by now.  But today I wore some medium gear along with gloves.  For the most part,  it was tolerable.
It's a Donut! (And is very loud!)

Lots of Wildlife today.
The nice thing about the rain is that it keeps the trails Mostly abandoned.   A few brave walkers, hardcore runners, and dog walkers can be seen from time to time.  But for the most part,  Cheryl and I had the entire network of trails all to ourselves!   A pleasant perk to not have to dodge people as you bike along side each other.

Very friendly deer.
The lack of people also allows us to see those animals that are absent when crowds swarm the trails.   We saw lots of birds( as usual) Rabbits,  groundhogs, and a number of deer.   This one doe was practically on the trail as we rode by.   She barely looked up at us as we passed by.   I circled around and took her picture as she browsed on some tree buds. Cheryl came back and watched her as well.
Second pass.



Continues to hang out with us. 
Cheryl watches in the distance.
My neighbor gave me several Tomato plants to supplement my sad attempt at horticulture.   I'll admit I do not have a very green thumb when it comes to plants.   Possibly because I dote over them too much.   Out of the 100 or so small seedlings I sprouted in February.... Only 4 of them have managed to grow over 3 inches at the moment.  I thought if I got them in the ground when I did,  the would fair better than in those little starter pots. 


But the clay ground around here seems to have caused many fatalities.  At least the rains have softened the ground now and the new additions are fairing much better.   Looks like I may have as many as 11 plants in all.   Hopefully,  that will be more and enough for the coming season.


Apparently, My seedlings were "leggy"   Long fragile stems.
Hope everyone is staying dry and warm on this cool wet day.  If it is cold and wet where you live that is.   And if you are growing any plants....  I wish you the best of luck.   Thanks for stopping in.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails