Saturday, May 12, 2018

Running & Biking The Trail Of Tears


Cheryl has conquered the Unicorn 
Now on to bigger things...
I should clarify and say that we ran/biked in the Rain today.   Normally,  a "Trail of Tears" post would be about Cheryl melting down on a long run...  But this is far less Dramatic. For her, anyway.

Not our usual spot.
It has been raining on and off for the last couple of days.   The colder weather mixed with the high damp humidity has really taken that warm summer feeling away.  This is what Spring should have been....  but Winter did not want to go away so soon this year.   Even so,  the weather is not all that bad.
Just after the rain.



For a Runner!   Cheryl loves these days for her runs.   A steady cool 50 degrees with a cool wind and light mist/sprinkles and she is in pure heaven.    For running... that is.   She reminds me that running is still hard...  But far more tolerable when the temps keep you from overheating.  I can understand that.
I should have worn warmer gear.


Cheryl sprints in the damp and cold.
As for me... the guy on the bike next to her?   Well,  I have only myself to blame for my experience this morning.   I should have taken along my rain gear, warmer layers and ear coverings.   I am very thankful that Cheryl did not remove my mitts from the car when winter had finally ended.   Riding in the cold is fine for Cheryl,  but my ears and hands got cold enough for me to go all sissy boy on her.  Real men may not cry.  But they do complain!   I know I should be tougher,  but I figured that it would warm up as it had previously.  It did not!  At least the rain kept away for most of the first part of the run.



But is forced to turn around by the park
Who knew there was an event?
We were not allowed to park in the usual spot because they had a trail run scheduled today.   The NEW local runner store must have sponsored a trail run for those who like to run on mud rather than concrete.    This is not really Cheryl's cup of tea.  I can only imagine how much fun running on the bike trails ( non-paved ones, that is..) with all that fresh rain we got last night.   Cheryl has run in muddy conditions in Kewash,  and that has never been very fun.

A "Trail" run.   Complete with Mud!
Pheasant back mushroom!
Side note:   We have found zero Moral Mushrooms this year.  "Simply too dry" is the overwhelming verdict.  However,  with the new rain last night and cooler temps floating in,  the Pheasant Back mushrooms have been popping out like Popcorn!   Check out this size!

Cheryl is done with the run.  Bike time!
The rain begins.
I know they are safe to eat,  but I read/heard that you have to trim off the outer edges for the best tasting/texture experience.  I thought Pheasant back only came out in the late fall or winter.  It is possible they come out several times during the year.   Like Shaggy caps and Oyster Mushrooms.    I'm sure I could go back there and harvest that one tomorrow if I wanted,  but I have not been in a Mushroom mood lately. 

Cheryl ready to GO!

Thankfully, it never pours down heavy.
After the Run,  We headed to the other trail for a bike ride.   Cheryl has been missing her bike riding ever since we started the Pearson job.  It was at that moment when the rain really began to come down!   I hardly wanted her to miss something she enjoyed,  so out we went... into the down pour.


Still plenty of water.

Ok,  maybe not a downpour like previous years,  but the sprinkles were there.    We did a couple of laps to make it last over an hour.   The nice thing about rain is that it keeps (sane)  people off the trail.  With fewer/no people around,  you have the opportunity to see wildlife you would otherwise miss.



Cheryl spots something.
Deer on the Trail!
 Like this deer running across the path.  Cheryl noted that she has been seeing them in the early morning around Wellman.   A few of them have new fawns running in tow.   This one was all by itself, so we were not sure if it was a young buck or a doe. 


Look for the flag on his tail.
Across the path!
Since most does hang out together, it is possible that this was a male.   But it is difficult to know for sure unless you see the antlers.


Cheryl inhales the cloud!
Blending into the woods.
And finally,   after braving the cold and rain,  we hunker down in the warm Subie with some Dunkin Donuts.   The Boston Creme's were like clouds today.  Meaning:  So fresh they evaporate inside your mouth!   What fun!

Ready for tomorrow's adventure?   What?  Where?
I should probably mention Cheryl has a Race tomorrow.  The details are still murky for me, since I rarely listen to her explanations.   I will simply get up early in the morning with her and go where she tells me.  Hopefully,  by the time the coffee kicks in,  I will know a little more and be able to blog about it then.   Until then,  I hope everyone is having a Wonderful and warm Saturday.   Thanks for stopping in and staying to the end.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails