Thursday, December 24, 2020

Christmas Eve Chill...

A Dusting of snow.

 It is Ridiculously COLD here in Iowa.  6 degrees Fahrenheit!   I think in Minnesota, that is known as "Brisky" and in Alaska.. the term would be "warm!"   But here in Iowa,  6 degrees feels like 60 below! 

 Mostly with those 40 mph wind gusts blowing across the prairie.  At least there was very little wind in the Fairbanks area.  But in Minnesota,  The wind there could be as brutal at times...  I do not miss those days. 

Chasing Red Riding Hood through the woods....
I'm not a creepy wolf!

All that to say that we decided to go out and run in this crap Anyway!   A sudden drop of 45 degrees really screws up your acclimation process.  We dressed as if it were 20 degrees...  BIG MISTAKE!    With the wind gusting and the bone chilling cold that was inescapable,  we limited the outdoor exercise to 1.5 miles.  At least we got to run in our holiday gear and pose for photos.   I got the wear the Santa hat that sits on the shelf most of the year.   Whereas, Cheryl got to play "little red riding hood"  while I chased her with the bike and camera.    That makes me sound like the big bad wolf!  But I assure you, I am mostly harmless. 

Cheryl gets to work at her
hobby....

Back home,  Cheryl and I set to our own individual task/crafts/hobbies.  She has more zipper pouches to finish and I wanted to play around with the embroidery machine again.  Yesterday was a bust! With my free hand embroidery ending in a disaster.   You see, we "cleaned up" the shop a few days ago and put all of the stocking stuff away.   So when I wanted to do some more sewing,  I could not find ANYTHING!  It was very frustrating... and time consuming!   Eventually I found the equipment I needed, but by then I was irritable, impatient, and grumpy.   The embroidery that followed reflected that quite nicely...

And I begin on mine. 

But today!  I felt happy and refreshed!  I also had a plan!

So fun! 

I wanted to put a Subaru Logo on a couple of cheap Tee Shirts we picked up at JoAnn a few days ago.  I figured, since they were on clearance, and I waned to practice on some stuff,  this was the perfect opportunity to play with the new embroidery program AND the machine's full potential. 

Very Satisfying!
Playing with color threads.

The Program was a hoot to play with.  In no time, I was able to get the Subaru Logo and put it on some felt scraps.  A few more times and I was able to play around and change the colors of the thread, the order of events, and even a few details with the design.  Each time, I had promising results.

Finally got the "B" right.
We have a winner!

Finally,  I got the "B" in Subaru to almost turn out presentably.   It was now time to try it on one of the Tee shirts.

Uh... What happened!?!?!

Well.... the results were a little disappointing.   I had backing on the shirt, but perhaps the material shifted or stretch cotton is simply not a fun material to work with.   The logo looks "ok" from a distance.  But the moment you get closer,   things become more of a problem.   Compare it to the Last one I did in the Felt Scrap.  

A Warm Tom and Jerry
in A Subaru mug.
The felt scrap looks better.

Well,   The process was fun.  And there are a few more things I would like to experiment with before trying the final Tee-shirt.  Cheryl says I can play around with some baking towels she recently purchased.   I may have to find a different backing for the material if I want it to work.  And the "B" is still not what I want it to be.   More research and experimenting is required.  

Cheryl and Hiro Open
the 12 Days of Christmas 
Cat Toys.
Garnish with Nutmeg!

Now,  It is time to sit back and enjoy some Holiday Festivities with a warm and cozy Tom and Jerry!   A little rum and brandy to add in some holiday cheer never hurts.  Cheryl also spent a portion of her day baking brownies.  I'm not sure who they are for, but I know I should not be eating them.  I guess we could hand them out to additional folks tomorrow if Cheryl does not plan on eating them all herself.   If we can find any new friends in this small town...  We shall see. 

Sometimes Hiro actually
is excited!
Who needs The Bethlehem
 star? When you have a Bright
Sun with A Rainbow!

Merry Christmas Everyone!  Hope everyone is having a fun, happy and enjoyable holiday with Friends and Family.  (I'll refrain from being political here....)   Just have a Merry Christmas in the best way you can, given that 2020 will soon be over! And a new year of possibilities are just around the corner.   Merry Christmas! 

A Rainbow in Each side!  Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sundogs! We had them too this morning! It is REAL cold here -17 F right now but they say it will warm up. Cheryl is a trooper running in the cold..of course I shoveled in the cold...so I guess we are both nuts.
I admire anyone that can work a sewing machine. I know some of the ladies put some kind of stiff "stuff" behind their embroidery. That is one fancy machine you have!

Merry Christmas...enjoy the brownies!

Val Ewing said...

A Big Chill is my favorite type of weather. I will have to post a picture of me taking a walk this morning in the Big Cold after doing chores.
A cool Subie logo on a tiny tiny dog scarf would sorta look cool. Charlie loves our Subaru, he hated it for two years.
You guys have a wonderful Christmas Day.
Good-o for Cheryl and you both getting out for a wee run!
You all are awesome.

As for how Covid may have change my Christmas? It hasn't. We normally spend it alone.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails