Friday, December 11, 2020

End of the Week... End of the Season!

Wrapping up the season.

 Mostly!  Cheryl closed the shop at the beginning of the week and we have spent the majority of it catching up orders that were behind.  Yesterday we spent most of the day sewing up custom orders and replacing "lost orders" or damaged stockings.  Today was the first day we were able to take a breath and "almost" get back to a somewhat normal routine. ( what is normal, again? ) 

Adding in A few Replacements.

So the shop is mostly closed down, but there are a few "Custom Requests"  we will be working on this weekend.  But tomorrow,  Cheryl wants to spend the entire day NOT looking at the shop and instead... running in Muscatine. 

Running in the rain.

Speaking of running...  Today, it has rained for pretty much the entire day.    This did not stop Cheryl though, as running is the only thing that "relaxes" her at this time of year.  We ran in Coralville for a change, as I'm sure the Kewash trail would have been a muddy mess... AND we happened to have to do a few errands at the bank.  

Good Stocking therapy.

Running in the rain is always a fun way to experience misery.   To get the Full experience,  you should really go running out in the rain... while it is cold ( preferably just above the freezing mark.)   With a strong head wind.    Do that enough times and you can shave off a mile or two from the run to get the full miserable treatment.  

I mentioned that we have been "replacing" lost or destroyed stockings.   The lost ones we can do nothing about.  The "Mishandled" ones that are currently sitting in Cedar Rapids are simply delayed and hopefully will get moving after this rush is over. 

Don't use blades on Stockings.

But every now and then one of the stockings gets damaged.   Either by an excited dog or a knife-wielding husband.  Case in point.   A  couple days ago,  a customer was distraught that her hubby "cut off the tip of the custom stocking she had purchased!"  She was very angry at him.   Thankfully, it was only one of the two stockings she ordered so we were able to sew up another one and send it on its way.  But I wanted to have a little fun with this one,  choosing to acknowledge that men do dumb things sometimes...  I should know...  I am a man... ( Most of the time)   So I included a warning label with this package to prevent another incident and possibly save their marriage.   

OR Torches!

However,  with every effort to make things "idiot proof,"  Murphy's Law dictates that "they" will find a "Better Idiot."   So.. as a Back up,  I prepared this small 4 panel instruction on what might also be possible.   IF she sees her hubby rummaging around for something in the garage..  be warned!

The next disaster was a dog that must have been eager for the treats inside the stocking.   The Customer says he tore up the stocking and it needed to be replaced, but we closed the shop.  Upon seeing that this happened just a few days ago,  Cheryl decided to ship out out for free.  ( don't tell anyone.)   But since this was a dog and not a husband, she refused to let me have any fun with my "dog meme" that I had just printed.

Working the Machines...Hard!

And lastly,  the breaking of the Machine.  As mentioned before,  I broke my super specialized button sewing machine after 10 years of  continuous seasonal use. Thankfully,  We have a number of machines in reserve that I occasionally scavenge parts from.  I was able to replace the button foot post with a similar one from one of Cheryl's Hello Kitty Machines.  (She has replaced both of them now.)  

Not Manly...
I wanted to write up a dramatic reason on how I broke it with my Hard, Masculine sewing, but when I tried to find a picture that could offer a visual,  all they offered me was a rather "un-masculine"  unmanly man. 



Now that IS Manly...
Without Bob Vila or "Tim the Toolman",  I was left with only Rambo sewing up his arm with a rusty needle.   And as cool and  "MANLY" as that might seem,  there is no sewing machine anywhere to be seen.   NOW!   Rambo sewing up his arm with a Modified Singer Sewing machine....  Now THAT would  be Manly!

Petitsfours
There are other stories of Cats, clouds, and Christmas Presents, but I see this blog post is getting long. Perhaps I will reflect upon those things another day if something else has not moved them to the back of my mind.
Leo the Part-Timer.

I wanted to at least mention that a Year ago today ( or at least close enough) 
I took Leo to get fixed by the vet and he has been a "Part-Time Indoor cat" ever since. Has it really been an entire year?   He has certainly come around to a feisty cuddle bum who has "pudged up" since that time.  Looks like Part-time Domestic Life agrees with him.  Hopefully for many years to come. 

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Oh thank you so much for this post...I laughed and laughed over the warning label AND the vision of Rambo sewing up his arm with a sewing machine.
I do think some of my happiest/most miserable times were running in bad weather. Now I just hike in it.
")

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails