Monday, December 28, 2020

Embroidery and Blogging with Cats.

Success!

 I finished the Oyster Mushroom embroidery on one of my old Tee Shirts.   I think it turned out pretty good, give it was only my second attempt.  I now believe that just because the machine does all  of the actual "stitching", it does not mean that I don't have to do a LOT of the work.  

The Machine is not even the 
hardest part!

First,  there is the program.  I have to adjust the stitching directions and thread colors. There is also the seem allowances and cross threads,  jump stitches and so much more...

Then... there is the actual embroidery machine!   I have to set the hoop to where the design will be permanently attached.  Screw that up, and the garment is RUINED!  ( I almost fainted when I thought I had set up the design backwards on my shirt...  Luckily, I didn't) I have to manage the extra fabric and material, get the backing just right, set up the machine and adjust the final layout.   Then...  Hold my breath and pray. 

During the process,  I have to adjust the thread colors when they are requested,  AND  rethread the machine when the thread breaks.  Which it seems to do...  A LOT!  Well,  at least more than a typical stocking season.  It is possibly from the change in materials that are not felt.   Or the complexity of the designs I messing with. 

And finally, I think it will get easier with practice.   I can do the names on the Christmas Stockings almost blindfolded now. ( 6 years of practice!)  But these new designs are turning me into a newborn baby crawling on the floor again. It will be a while before I am able to walk upright.   But I think, with a little more practice, I will eventually get there.  

So now it turns out to be a race against myself.  I want to get better, without ruining any more clothes from my wardrobe.  Currently, I'm using Cheryl's old race shirts and some old work Tees I have in the bottom of my dresser.  Eventually I will run out of clothes to experiment on.  And then I will be forced to buy new clothes... that I will have to be extra careful with.  

Try Competing against China!!!

But ultimately,  I'm in a race against my own motivation and persistence.  Once I get bored of something,  I sometimes abandon it before I have fully mastered it.   Carving, origami, stop motion animation...  even yoyo-ing.  ( That is:  performing tricks with a Duncan YoYo.)  We shall see how well I can master things before the inevitable boredom hits me. 

In the mean time.   I am trying to write this blog with two cats who seem to only bother me when I'm busy.   Cheryl is on the floor and available for pets, treats, and even a little play time.   But NO!   They Have to be on me whenever I'm typing the blog or doing Convos for Etsy.  I'm sure they will abandon me once I finish this post.   

So... Thanks for stopping in.   Hope everyone is staying warm and cozy on these cold days.  We hear tell of a storm brewing up later this week.   Rain, snow,  ice... all the sloppy driving conditions that make winter fun.   Have a good one.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

A thrift shop may have some half decent shirts to embroider on. I am missing my weekly yarn run at the thrift shop...not that I need more yarn! Looks like you did great on the schroom design:)

Val Ewing said...

Old work shirts at our thrift shops are about $1 and some of them look pretty nice! Every few years I restock hubby's summer long sleeve shirts that way.

You are a creative person that's why you jump from thing to thing maybe? I'm just guessing.
I used to sew, hand embroider, make jointed stuffed toys, then I went on to painting old chairs and prettying up junk stuff from the shed.
I stick with photography because it keeps me really challenged.
Maybe as a creative person you need to challenge yourself a lot? Just a thought.
The shirts turned out pretty neat.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails