Thursday, March 4, 2021

Making Art Supplies.. Or at least "Trying..."

Add something Blog-worthy.

 Goodness!  It is Thursday already!  I realized I have not blogged in several days and I was feeling a little guilty about it.  I was not planning on blogging today, but I was reading someone else's blog and they seemed to be having the same trouble... "Not much going on."   

Elsa from Frozen.

Well,   that is not entirely true.   Stuff happens every day, but is it "blog worthy?"  It is if I can find an angle.  But when my creative writing juices are depleted, it is a challenge to make a mountain out of a molehill...  But I Shall try. 

Not Lady Gaga...

First, I should say that the weather has been very nice these last five days, with sunshine and warmer temps.   I have been outside as much as I could putting as much Graffiti on the sidewalk as the melting snow will allow.   After the abominable Snowman, I took a stab at the "Frozen" franchise and drew Elsa.   

Add some cuteness to the mix.
And even more cuteness.

 

One of the Frequent Park Walkers commented on it saying it looked like Lady GaGa.   I have never seen Lady Gaga, so I do not know if I should be insulted or flattered. (I'll guess it was meant as a compliment.)    I decided to clarify the design by adding a word that would hint at the origin.   Cheryl thinks I should have just left it as is.  That way, no one will think my attempt at Elsa was a disaster. (This is why I avoid doing humans....)

He looks cute, but so lonely.
We need to tie them together.

It took several more days, but I moved on to the Rabbit designs I had printed out.   I put the bunnies everywhere so they would enhance the "cute factor" of each drawing.  

Much better,
Keep the theme going!

After laying them all out, I had to figure out how to tie them all together.   So I added more flowers and Easter eggs  while putting them on the same plane.   Hopefully the background noise will tighten things up. 

Dark green dye?  Really?
Let's make some chalk!

While working on these Easter themes,  I decided I need more chalk.   (Because you can never have too much chalk... even though I can barely carry my supplies out to the park already.)  I have to note that all of the "how to" videos and forums online are missing something important.  Every time I follow their instructions, I am disappointed with the results.  

Looks more like brown.
Earth tones...

I first tried Adding fabric dye to the plaster.  It said it was green.   I don't think it looks very green at all.  However,   I can always use an Earth tone for animals and rock formations.   Plus, it set up right away and worked out.   The only problem was the color.... which is the whole point!

Tempura paint attempt.
Does not look very green.

So let's try the Tempura Paint method.  Add some green to the plaster.    At least it looks green this time.   


Messy craft...

The problem is that it does not set up very well.   In fact!  I would think it was a disaster!  I have been trying to hasten the process by baking it in the oven.   Apparently... Cheryl says I can't bake it at 350 degrees because it "smokes"   or something.  

At least it is greener than before.

But I just finished a batch and FINALLY it is behaving like chalk Should!   It only took 3 hours!  ( If I could bake it at a hotter temp.. wouldn't you think that would hasten the process? ) Oh well..  Cheryl doesn't like the "smoke."   I feel that if the Fire detector has not gone off, then it is still safe and the right  thing to do.  

Not Completed yet

I tested several other colors on my latest rabbit drawing.   Unfortunately,  the colors  did not work out and the time slipped by too quickly.  The schools let out around 3:30 and I did not want to have to deal with a bunch of kids asking me questions.   Or telling me that My Elsa looks like Lady Gaga.  (Seriously,  what does she look like under all that make-up? )     

Is this what they are referring to?

With the baking break-through working.  I may try another round of green chalk.  I am lacking green in my color pallet.   Most of the standard chalk colors are too close to yellow or mint.   Call me a color snob,  but color is color!   And you only miss it when you don't have it.    I will have to finish up the rabbit playing the lute tomorrow...  If it is sunny and warm again.  Fingers crossed for Spring!

Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Oh how beautiful!
I love your work.
I got in the color mood today too. But with spray paint and with deer skulls.

No one to see my art ... but yours would bring joy to anyone walking by.

L. D. said...

You to are such a creative crew. Illustration is so fun. It is one of the reasons I became and art teacher many years ago. I had been to Disneyland as a kid and wanted to create art with all the color and design.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails