Tuesday, May 10, 2022

An Underdog Story Of A Horse. Richstrike Wins The Kentucky Derby.

I will be the first to admit I do not follow such things very often.  But every now and then, a Story captures my imagination and I feel moved to share it with as many folks as I can. ( even if that number is very limited.)  I am talking about the Event that unfolded last weekend.  The Kentucky Derby. " The Greatest two minutes in Sports"

Why does this event capture me?   Good question.  I do not watch any professional sporting events at all.  No Basketball, Baseball, or Football.  Heck, I did not even know when the Superbowl  or final four were this year!   

Nor do I particularly care about horses.   Oh, I like them just fine... As long as they are someone else's.   They are big, smelly, scary bundles of muscle and power.   If you have ever ridden one, you can appreciate the feeling of thrill, fear, and excitement all at the same moment.    Like a roller coaster without seat belts or guardrails..  Or any other safety equipment. 
 Yet I find myself walking a mile every now and then to feed the horses on the outskirts of town.  I hear they are feisty, if they are in a mood.  But they always seem to like my carrots or clover when I pass by. They are characters.  Like Dogs.. only far bigger!

But this past weekend,  something happened to grab my  usual apathetic attention.  An 80/1 long shot horse named Richstrike, came from dead last to  win the Kentucky Derby.  Miracles happen everyday.   Many of them small.   But now and then, usually at a nation's darkest hours,   a Miracle is sent from  the heaven to show us mortals that the Impossible IS actually possible.  Sporting events  and Wars are great avenue for these moments.    Remember "Miracle on Ice?"  "David and Goliath?"  "The American Revolution?"
 

Well,  this Kentucky Derby will eventually slip into the pages of History.  And Richstrike's name will be lost to those of us who are not diehard nerds of Horse breeds and equestrian sports.  But racing, whether it be by man, machine, or horse...  Distills all struggles down to the most basic and purest of forms.  The 2018 Boston Marathon demonstrated this when Yuki Kawauchi won the Race from out of nowhere.   He led early on, but the announcers never considered him a potential winner.  Not until the final miles....

  

And so it was with Richstrike.   Watch the Video, and listen to the Announcers as they mention every horse  in the top five, except Richstrike... Until he crosses the Finish line first.

I once read that,"Winning the Kentucky Derby is like winning the World Series, Superbowl, and US open all at once. "   It is a process that is not measured in years, but rather:  Generations!    Families will spend their entire fortunes and farms just to get a shot at a thoroughbred  blood line.   And to have all those years of dedication, that shared passion to be handed down to Sons and Daughters...  Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren.  It must be a feat that few can fully understand.   Much like winning a marathon. 

So, enjoy the ride.   It is less than 2 minutes long.   Two minutes of pure heart and determination.  I'll take this moment to acknowledge the jockey.   But  the best jockey will never win a race without the right horse.   And to give you some insight into the character of this horse.... He bit one of the lead horses after the race.    Feisty!  That horse has spirit!  

She's just jealous!  Weeehee hee!
One Final NOTE: Cheryl says this horse is a "Sniper"...Pretending to be slow and coming up from behind at the end. She may not have the same feeling as most people, because women snipe her victory all the time at races. (Shrug) Runners will always see things differently.

3 comments:

Val Ewing said...

It was a good story and I heard about the underdog beating horses worth so much more $$$$. Good for Richstrike!
I do have mules and yes they can be big and scary. It is hard to remind myself that all that 800 lbs of muscle can indeed hurt a person. Mostly mine are like loyal dogs.

What a race!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I missed the race this year, I usually watch it. It is a great story and I am thrilled for his owner, trainer and Jockey...hope a Triple Crown for them!!

Jon said...

I haven't watched the Kentucky Derby in a long time, so this was interesting news to me. I love "unusual" endings and I always root for the underdog.......or the underhorse (*smile*).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails