Friday, May 13, 2022

Greetings from Grand Rapids!

Did I fail to mention Cheryl will be running in the River Bank Run?  ( Amway, 5/3rds, Old Kent Riverbank 25 K River Run  Same race, different sponsors over the years....)  That is correct, and we finally have arrived in Grand Rapids, Michigan.   Whew! 

I want to start off by saying we lost an hour crossing over the east coast time line.   Add in that our hotel lost POWER moments before we pushed our way through the frozen doors.   We have only JUST got access to our room after 4 hours of waiting in the lobby!   So... Pretty tired...

So I will try to make this brief... as the time zooms by us and cuts into our beauty sleep... and runner sleep.  

The Expo was small for an event like this, but we made sure to check all of the vendors out.   Cheryl even managed to find a Shirt she liked.  

We scoped out the race route and possible finisher's medal.   Since the race is a giant loop up and down the Grand River, I will again be waiting for Cheryl at the Start/finish.   We talked to her folks and they will be waiting somewhere around the half way point to help cheer her on there.   They are luck as the Parking fees are OUTRAGEOUS! here in Grand Rapids.  I know I will be looking for cheaper parking tomorrow morning for my own sanity. 

We had a few moments to take in the sights before they are mobbed with runners and Spectators tomorrow.   Mostly we tried to capture the Calder... a Huge metal structure of art by a famous Sculptor....  named Calder!  ( Yes, it is named after the creator....)   I had lived in Michigan for 40 years and  never in that time have I ever been this close to Grand Rapids most Iconic Sculpture.   We figured we might as well do it now, since we have been out of the state for nearly 12 years now.  

And that is it!  Hopefully, I will see some friends and possibly a relative or two tomorrow... while I wait for Cheryl to battle the High heat and Humidity predicted for tomorrow's conditions.   I know I would hate to run in that type of weather.  (Come to think about it, I don't think I would want to run under ANY conditions...but that is just me.)  

Thanks for stopping in!  And wish us luck!   Looks like we may need it on this one.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

25 K is Cheryl running the whole race...what a gal!

Val Ewing said...

wow! Just catching up! That is one heck of a distance to run!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails