Saturday, November 27, 2010

Backyard mystery: Squirrel with the broken arm.

The other day I was watching the many squirrels in our yard with the cats. I noticed that there was one that was running around funny. He seemed to be favoring one of his front legs. Don't get me wrong, he was fast and seemed to be able to climb the trees with little or no hesitation. So why favor his arm like that. I remember reading somewhere that squirrels often break bones from falling out of trees. And they live to tell the tale and seem to heal up just fine. What an amazing little creature. Not only is he able to heal a broken arm all by himself, ( tell that to a horse with a broken leg!) but he is able to continue to climb up and down trees with little or no problem. Anyway, I thought it was unusual and I did not release the cats to chase him. I doubt they would have caught him anyway. I'm not sure what happened, but I doubt he got electrocuted like the last squirrel mystery. In other news, the bald eagle that hangs out in highway one between Kalona and Iowa City is still there! This might not be a big deal to most people, But I always get a rush whenever I see a Bald Eagle. They are majestic in flight and form. Even in Alaska, I would stop and watch them as they would soar over the bay looking for fish. Who would have ever thought that there would be a resident in Iowa.

2 comments:

L. D. said...

Yes, the Mississippi River is a big draw for the big birds. We have a few because of the man made lake but we rarely see them this far inland.I hope your squirrels gets better.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

aww, the squirrels are so cute! i hope the one in your background gets better soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails