Saturday, February 9, 2013
Origami Ancient Dragon Complete!
Remember when I started it last week? It's tough starting a large project and not having the energy to complete it. However, Instead of 4 days worth of folding, I'm proud to say I finished it in two! The shaping of the final folding went fairly quickly compared to last time.
And it was much easier than before since I did not wet the paper from the beginning. I applied a thin paste mixed with methylcellulose just on the finishing touches and then clamped them and dried them with the heat gun before moving on.
So much easier! I wish I had figured it out earlier. In the end, I think it might have taken me 8 hours total. I was even surprised that the paper worked out as well as it did.
Tomorrow I want to try some of the two ply tissue paper to see how it will hold up to the design. It has been treated with a methylcellulose coating so it should be stronger. I'm a little worried that the paper is , at best, a 20 inch square.
The paper I worked with on THIS dragon started out as a 30 inch square with the final sculpture ending up being about 12 inches long. I may reach a threshold where it becomes too small for me to work with. I guess I will just have to find out in the end. in the mean time.
Enjoy the pics. I tried to take multiple angles, but I'm not sure any of them do it justice. It has become one of those sculptures I have fallen in love with. I can't wait to fold another!