Sunday, November 12, 2017

Another Deer Sighting!

See the Deer?
Slightly better picture of another deer.   Still a bit of a focus problem, but at least it was not from a moving car.


Bad day for Subie's Tire
It has been a rather wet day today.   In addition to the rain, I was surprised by a flat tire on Subie!   Not the best start.    I'm hoping it will only be a small puncture that can be repaired by Reggie, the Local Tire Guy. 

See it now?
Can you see the antler?
After changing the tire in the rain,  we set out for Cheryl's daily training run.   I had a feeling it might be a good day to see some deer, because they have to refresh their scrapes when the rain washes the scent away.  (all that Hunting Education paying off!)    Low and Behold!    We saw one.
How about Now?



At first I thought it would be another failed attempt.   But the Buck did manage to move a little and held still so I could snap his pic.    He blends in so well. 

Broad side....with a flash of white tail.
One of the Things about Bucks vs Does is that they never flash their tail!   Bucks keep that tail tucked under so the bright white is hidden.   Makes sense during hunting season....  But Does are always flashing it.   Still,  I managed to get the "white of his tail" for a brief second.

After that,  we finished the run kicking up three Does ( using the ID method mentioned before) a little farther down the trail.   I was not able to get a picture of them as they practically flew down the hill! 


Follow the Trail
More Rubs showing the way.
An interesting thing about the buck:   He actually turned back towards me.   Not in an aggressive way...but rather a curious way.    As if he was trying to figure out what I was up too.  I'm pretty sure he was about 2-3 years old....judging by the antlers.   He was a LOT smaller than the one we saw yesterday.   Still,  you could clearly see his buck rubs and trail markings all along his "Territory Trail." 
My Hunting Experience on display

As if he is Taunting me. 
Sometimes I miss hunting.   And by "miss"  I mean:   I never hit anything I was ever aiming at.  Lugging a heavy shotgun around in freezing and wet areas was not really the funnest way to spend a weekend.   But I loved being outside.   And hunting gave me a purpose.
Cheryl gets me out in the cold. 

Slightly Damp day.
  Thankfully,  Cheryl's running allows me to be outside and get cold and wet without the Gun.   In a way,  it is almost "better."    I never had to worry about killing anything.   I never saw deer when I was actually hunting them.   Now, it appears to be a huge conspiracy among the  Odocoileus virginianus  to show up while I'm no longer a danger!  As it turns out,  they still taunt me by being "Un-photogenic".
Cheryl,  showing off Subie's Spare tire. 





More Stockings.

Cheryl packing them up...
Stockings continue to roll out.  Cheryl is getting that strange Limbo feeling.   The place where if you sell too many,  Doom!  If you sell  too few....DOOM!   What is the right amount?   Who knows.  We shall continue to make them... and worry about our future.   Just like everyone else.

Thanks for stopping by.   Hopefully you can enjoy my attempt to capture a whitetail deer in it's natural habitat.   And as the Rut continues, maybe I will have another chance.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails